Thread: charging system
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrain View Post
...How difficult is a alternator conversion?
Serious talk? There's a host of reasons why EVERY OEM dropped generators and voltage regulators, in favor of alternators. Where do I begin?

The numbers: The smallest of alternators (70-amp) outputs twice the power of your generator (35-amp), and they charge your battery at idle speeds. Now, you can safely run all your accessories (including electric fan) without any worry about an under-charged battery.

They are all self-regulating, and last far longer. Parts are available everywhere, cheaper. Boneyards throw them out daily. Shaft sizes are the same as the old days, and pulleys are normally piled high at alternator shops.

Years ago, I converted my '55 Y-Block to a Mustang alternator. It uses the original belt/brackets and fits with room to spare. I did fabricate a "Z" bracket in my garage, to complete the installation. I made everything I needed for the conversion.

For me, the conversion was from 6-volt POS ground to 12-volt NEG ground. It was the best move I ever did. Don't waste your money on a solid state regulator, it's already included in modern alternators.

Check out the electrical schematic on my site. It shows two plugs that go into the side of the Ford alternator. All the large wires go to the battery, and one skinny wire goes to your GEN light. It's that easy. It also works the way you would expect, with no surprises. That little GEN wire senses when your ignition is on, AND it shines if you threw a belt. It also shines when you first turn the key on, and goes out when the engine rotates. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca