View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Experienced

1960Bird is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Three Inch Drums

The car pulls pretty good, if it is running good, I have some carb issues yet to be corrected) The engine is a a 1961 block and heads, it also has a mild cam along with the rest of the stuff I have listed. She will spin the tires pretty easily, although, if I had a C-6 rather then my old "Cruise O" it would be a lot better, I really need about a 2200 RPM torque converter to get the power down. As they used to say "HP sells cars...torque wins races" The big blocks have the torque that is for sure. I would guess that my new engine has about 325 actual HP and around 425 ft. lbs torque.

As for the brake switch over...I already have everything to do a 11 inch Granada disc switch, except a good proportioning valve. Being very lazy...I thought if I could just go to the bigger drums/shoes it would be a lot easier job. I estimated that I would pick up about 20% more front brake shoe surface area. If the 3' brakes stopped the 4400 pound Bulletbirds OK they should stop my old Squarebird on a dime.

Steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears