View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
...On top of that, he had to re-work the rear seat foam because it was not fitting correctly as it was manufactured. That cost him time and effort, but in the end, I think I have fantastic looking seats in Rose... I have since heard others on here say, either in print or privately, that they also had problems installing these seat foams and had to mold them to make them fit correctly...
Here's how it goes... Trim work is always 'custom fit' because seat covers are not exactly consistent from one to the next. It's 'sewing', and none of this can be done in a jig so it's all done free-hand.

Remember Jed Zimmerman's foams? He glued different densities of foam together then cut the shape out with a knife and a sander. None of them were molded.

Putting this all together... The installer MUST make the seat look pleasing to the eye by either paring the foam down if it is too big for the cover OR adding 'fill foam' in areas where the seat cover is baggy. Trim shops know this as standard fare and the installation cost includes this.

Foam comes in many grades, different densities and different costs depending on the amount of rubber content. Seat bottoms need a higher density than the seat backs. THAT is what made Jed's foams better than the molded offerings because molding can only be of one type of foam. Bottom line here is cost vs quality. More rubber in foam lasts MUCH longer than low-cost foam.

I did two Amphicar interiors in marine vinyl and constructed my foams with Jed's guidance before he passed. I stripped the seats to the frames, repaired worn and broken metal, etc., then sewed the pleated and piped covers. Believe me, the result is stunning, far better than stock and will last much longer BUT the foam cost more. The feel when sitting on the new seats makes all the difference. That's where the quality shines through.

I would certainly go to a local trim shop and sit down with the guy. Let him know you want high quality foam, then let him make it. Gluing and cutting foam is not hard work but it does take an extra hour. Covering the foam should cost the same. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca