View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 04:41 AM

mrfreeze is on a distinguished road

Yeah- $150 is a lot to pay especially if it is only for the door & ignition keys which I have the code for. I couldn't find much detail to the description for the try out set but what gave me some hope ws that it mentioned H26/H27. Also I think Carl mentioned to me in a private message that he had seen a part number for a try-out or "master" set with 81 keys, but he couldn't find it with an internet search. I thought that perhaps there were 81 door/ignition combinations used and it was possible that the 92-key set I found included 11 of the H26 trunk/glove box keys. It seemed feasible that they might use fewer combinations for teh trunk and glove box as there would be less of a security concern. Wishful thinking, perhaps. I may try to contact the manufacterer (Aero) of the try-out key set I found to inquire about what the set actually includes.

I did get my trunk open- it was actually pretty easy becuse years ago when I was working on the car I had actually taken the catch off and when I put it back I had only one bolt holding it in and that wasn't even tight. I have a new "reproduction" lock cylinder from Ebay ($16.30) but I haven't removed the lock/latch mechanism off of the trunk lid yet.

Unfortunately, I did learn that my door locks which worked smoothly when I got the car over a decade ago now will not allow a key to be fully inserted so they may need to be replaced. I tried spraying some penetrating oil in the door cylinder that I removed but so far it hasn't helped. I think I can get the door locks for about $12 each on Ebay but it is unlikely that I would get a matched set. There are options for matched sets but the prices go up significantly. This won't be an urgent issue until the car is painted which isn't going to happen any time soon. The main concerns were getting the trunk open & being able to use the ignition switch when the motor goes back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
According to the description the set only fits door and ignition locks which are the same. The trunk and glove box locks are different. I know there are many more than 92 combinations of locks so I'm not sure if that set will help. I would hate to see you spend $150 and still not find the correct key.

John