View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
I know this is in the wrong category, but the 58-60 section gets the most attention here....

A friend of mine is converting a '54 Lincoln from 6-volt to 12-volt, but is wondering how to deal with the 6-volt power window motors that are on the car. He says there is a 30amp circuit breaker before each motor. He doesn't want to send 12 volts to these motors for fear of damaging them I guess...
I am not a purist and if it were my car I would do the conversion too (as I did with my '55 Customline). Modern devices and accessories are made for 12-volts and negative ground. All deviations from this standard become very expensive due to supply and demand.

Modern devices that were never around back in the day are now possible with 12-v., like an electric fan, remote start, standard Pertronix, etc.

I appreciate the question but I need more info...

Is he considering using a self-regulated alternator? <--important to know and I hope this is the case. Will he have an external voltage regulator?

Does he have and want to use his original radio? Back in those days all radios used an internal vibrator. The vibrator quickly switched power on and off so it could run a transformer at high voltage for the tubes. It can be converted to 12-v. neg. gnd., but the vibrator will need to be changed to 12-v. neg. gnd.

Another consideration is to cut the rear off of his radio and convert it to AM/FM/MP3. Gary Tayman down in Sarasota, Florida does a nice job.

The gauges need a simple CVR, then they're good to go including the sending units.

These things need to be changed to 12-volt:
  • All lamps,
  • Horn relay and horns,
  • Starter relay,
  • Ignition Coil and Condenser, with an added ignition resistor,
  • Radio,
  • All fuses and circuit breakers (they now need half the amperage on 12-volts),

6-volt starter motors do well on 12 volts and no, they won't run backwards by reversing polarity. In fact, ALL DC motors with separate field winding will run in the correct direction including the heater and door motors. Speed is quite another story. Gauges will not run backwards, either (assuming there is no AMP gauge).

You can add resistor banks. Yes, banks. Because each motor will need its own resistor. Everyone knows Ohm's Law but it is based on constant voltage, current and resistance. In other words, if I size a current resistor for two window motors they must be run at the same time (together). A resistor sized for one motor will not pass enough amps to run two window motors. So if we use resistors, each motor must have its own. It might be easier to buy 12-volt motors. I have a diagram to convert your window switch system to run a modern, standard, 2-wire motor.

Two 6-volt horns can be connected in series but they will sound like a sick cow. Believe me, it doesn't work. Buy 12-volt horns. Horns have internal contacts that make/break matching a frequency of pitch. That means both horn contacts in series must be closed at the same time, which never happens because they are set to different frequencies (one high, one low).

BTW, what exactly ARE all the accessories? - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca