View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 04:07 AM
Apprentice

Ickaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
The actual parking lamp housing is basically plug and play if you want to replace the entire unit
You are right and it is easily removed. One 1/2" bolt behind the bumper and two screws in the front and it comes right out. I went ahead and pulled it to make testing easier, since I was otherwise having to lay down to see in the socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I totally agree with John and I will assume we're talking about your '63 T-bird.
Yes, this is my '63.

Quote:
Electrical troubleshooting is easily done if you have either a volt meter or a 12-volt test light and your wiring diagram. Test equipment removes all magic and doubt.
I do have a volt meter, which I had attempted to use previously, but didn't understand the two pins were for two separate functions. It makes a lot more sense after John explained it to me.

Quote:
It's easier if you start at the 'fault' and work your way towards the source. To make troubleshooting even easier, Ford used plugs and receptacles because they make assembly fast and they eliminate wiring mistakes.

If you do NOT see voltage, move to the first plug and test the wire there. If still no voltage, keep going upstream as you check more plugs. Eventually, signal wires come from the steering column plug, then up to the turn signal switch plate.
As always, this is great advice and I appreciate the gentle nudge down the right path. As I mentioned, I pulled the housing so I could get it up top for easier viewing and testing. I found that I had 11.2 V on one pin and 0.0 V on the other, which is also the one that was not springing back previously. (Although, after working it by hand quite a few times, it seems to be doing much better.) Both wires have continuity, though, so appear to be okay from plug to pin.

So I unplugged at the one closest to the housing and the same voltage readings there. Unfortunately, it's way past my bedtime now, so I'll have to finish the hunt tomorrow. Thanks again for the direction.

On a personal note, my dad was an electrician/electrical engineer and something of an electrical genius I think, although I didn't appreciate it while he was still around. Whenever I had electrical questions he'd launch into explaining electrical theory which was typically well beyond my abilities to comprehend, or so I thought. And being young and impatient I just wanted him to tell me what wire to put where, etc. Even though this job isn't terribly complex, it's times like these I sure wish I'd listened closer.