View Single Post
Old 05-30-2016, 07:19 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I really hate the nomenclature Ford used for limit switches and relays. Think of it this way:
Limit Switches only tell the present status. They do not make things happen. For example it should read, 'Deck Lid CLOSED, showing the action already happened. So if you are looking at N.C. contacts you would think, 'Deck Lid NOT Closed'.
Relays cause actions to happen. For ex; Close Deck Lid Control Relay. Once the deck lid gets there, 'Deck Lid Closed limit' will close its normally open contacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
...1. The top will not retract without a jumper to the Top Solenoid. The pump will run, but the top will not retract until I activate the solenoid with a jumper.
. Reference the wiring diagram. The Roof Down Relay and the Top Valve Solenoid Relay coils are wired together. If you have voltage on one the other should also. Check for a loose connection between the relay coils AND both ground connections.

Quote:
...2. With the top full retracted, the deck lid will not close unless I unplug the two plugs to the Deck Close Limit Switch and jumper the violet from one plug with the yellow/violet on the other plug. Thus jumpered the deck closes.
Ok, troubleshoot the contact that should have closed to energize the solenoid. Follow the relay coil circuit back, checking for voltage. If you have voltage the relay coil is bad. If no voltage on the relay coil, the first limit switch is 'Deck Unlock RH LS'. If no voltage, check 'Top Down LS'

Quote:
...3. The top will not go up until the two plugs on the Deck Close Limit Switch are again connected.

I note in the Convertible Top Manual, page 18, fig. 7, that the Deck Close Limit Switch should connect the Orange with the Yellow/violet and Violet with the Black/green to close the deck. However when I bypass the switch and jumper the wires as indicated in the manual, nothing happens and the wires get extremely hot...
Roof Up Relay & Roof Solenoid Relay will only energize if the Top Up LS is not already up. <--Makes sense.
Orange = 411
Violet = 409
409 & 411 connect at the Deck Unlock RH LS plug.

Yellow/Violet = 413
413 does not connect with any other color. It connects the Deck Unlock RH LS with Deck Open Relay coil and Deck Solenoid Relay coil.

Black/Green = 414
414 does not connect with any other color. It connects Deck Unlock RH LS with Deck Close Relay coil and Deck Valve Solenoid Relay coil.

I don't know where you got those other connections because they are wrong for the 1960 Thunderbird setup. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca