View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 01:32 AM
Experienced

arizonajack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnston View Post
In addition to the jumpers and studying the info in the convertible top manuals, I have also added 2 more test wires which I often use when ever I have an electrical issue.

Get a 50' coil of insulated 10 or 12 gauge wire and cut it in half. One piece gets an alligator clip on each end. This is used to check if there is a good ground at the failing device by attaching one end to the battery ground terminal and the other to the malfunctioning light, motor or whatever. The second piece gets an alligator clip and an inline fuse harness on the other. This is used to supply power by clipping to the battery + terminal and the fused end to hot wire the component.
What size fuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
There is one more 'trick' in my bag of electrical tools. I put a light bulb in series, in the 'power' wire. When checking a motor or other device, if it has a direct short to ground the bulb will shine at full brilliance.
Would a test light with a long wire suffice? Something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Innova-Co...3410/206888861

I have a couple like that. I can modify one with a longer wire.

I seem to recall making something like that decades ago when I had my Skyliner but haven't needed that kind of troubleshooting until I got my 66 Conv.

Thanks for all the help.