Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trunk Lock/Latch Problem (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9983)

jmsreed 11-03-2010 05:54 PM

Trunk Lock/Latch Problem

Hey Guys,

I put my key into the trunk lock on my 60' Bird on Saturday and i felt something snap inside when i turned the key and now the lock spins two full rotations and stops but won't open. I called my local lock smith and he said he couldn't help me. Any one have this happen before? The thought of damaging the trunk lid or the emblem and cover to get it open turns my stomach. I'm hoping somebody knows a trick.

Thanks in advance!
JR

Richard D. Hord 11-03-2010 06:19 PM

Hey Jesse,
John G had posted this some time back, its worth a try! I locked my keys in mine once (only set at the time). I unlocked it by taking out the back seat (vertical part) and then putting a stick with a hook on it into the trunk. There is something on the lock inside you can pull on to unlock it. I would have to go home and open mine to remember and I could take a picture of the lock from the inside for you. This is awhile ago - I made two spare sets of keys and have not repeated the adventure.

I vaguely recall the spare tire as being the biggest obstacle and also that I have not installed a trunk kit yet so I had
openings to work with that probably aren't there anymore.
Richard D. Hord

Bob M 11-03-2010 07:22 PM

Jesse
My lock went bad last month. the key should only turn about a quater of turn to the right. You might try pushing down on the trunk lit and very slow turn the key at the same time push the key into the lock cylinder very hard. What happen to my lock was the lock cylinder came out on the lock and it would trun many times, if your key clyinder comes out you stick a screw driver into the lock and open the trunk, I guess i was very lucky, I bought a new lock cylinder form Macs.
Good Luck
Bob

jmsreed 11-03-2010 11:27 PM

Thanks Guys!
Richard, pics would be really helpful if it isn't to much trouble.
Bob, i'll give that a shot and keep my fingers crossed that it works.

JR

simplyconnected 11-04-2010 02:13 AM

CLICK HERE to see a short video on how the trunk latch works. When you turn the key, a cam-action pushes the lever towards the rear, releasing the latch. This is the part Richard Hord wrote about, hooking with a long wire.

I sure hope this helps. If not, maybe you can find a skinny 8 year-old who can crawl in there with a flashlight and a hook. I'm not sure, but it looks like two bolts on the bottom bracket will disconnect the latch. - Dave

Richard D. Hord 11-04-2010 06:14 AM

Hey Jesse,
That's my good buddy Dave there! Don't let him kid you he is a expert when it comes to old cars!
Dave you da man:)
Richard D. Hord

Dream Weaver 11-04-2010 01:26 PM

What I did

When I brought my 60 home from a junk yard the trunk latch was rusted tight. I removed the rear seat and use a 3/8" drive socket set and a chain of extensions to remove the two bolts that hole the lower assemble in place (bolts 20327-3). If I remember correctly they are 7/16 and I used a 6 point socket. It took two people one to turn the ratchet and one to support and guide the array of extensions. I got mine I hope you get yours.:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmsreed (Post 50199)
Hey Guys,

I put my key into the trunk lock on my 60' Bird on Saturday and i felt something snap inside when i turned the key and now the lock spins two full rotations and stops but won't open. I called my local lock smith and he said he couldn't help me. Any one have this happen before? The thought of damaging the trunk lid or the emblem and cover to get it open turns my stomach. I'm hoping somebody knows a trick.

Thanks in advance!
JR

jmsreed 11-10-2010 02:28 PM

Thanks for all the help and ideas guys. Dave, I really appreciate the detailed info. Wasn't able to work on last weekend but have time set aside on Saturday, i'll let you know how it goes.

Jesse

simplyconnected 11-10-2010 03:53 PM

Jesse, I cannot take any credit for my post.

Alexander (the founder of Squarebirds.org, God rest him) gave most of the info that I referenced. I believe that's his hand in the first picture, he shot the video, and the exploded view is from a Ford parts catalog.

Many of the guys I worked with in the Rouge lived in (and loved) Westland. Good to see another Detroiter on our site. - Dave

Dan Leavens 11-10-2010 09:35 PM

People: I have said it before and I will say it again. That is why, this is the best site on the planet for Thunderbirds out there. Look at you guys go with the info on this problem, suggestions, pictures and video. Now where else are you going to find that :D