Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1961 To 1963 Bulletbirds, Rocketbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   starting issues (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9620)

62 bullitt 09-11-2010 04:30 PM

starting issues

My 62 is giving me problems when starting, sometimes I get nothing (not turning over) and then just start after a while, other times it will turn over but then stop like if it's draining the battery. I checked the battery and it's charging, how do I check my starter. It's definately an electrical issue not mechanical. Need help!!!!!

simplyconnected 09-11-2010 08:19 PM

You have a starter relay. What happens when you jump both big lugs together with one jumper cable? Does it start better?

Did you check your battery and ground connections? It takes TWO wires to complete a circuit.

If you get the same results after trying these suggestions, unbolt your starter motor and either fix it yourself or bring it in to an Auto Electric shop (they can test your starter and they guarantee their work).

Hope this helps. - Dave

62 bullitt 09-14-2010 11:56 AM

Thanks Dave, someone's already suggested I check my wiring and solenoid first. Haven't been able to do anything yet (raining the past week in Fl) shade tree mechanic. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks.

62 bullitt 09-15-2010 09:51 PM

Took off and cleaned up my wiring (battery to ground, solenoid and solenoid to starter, generator) which appeared to be clean but apparently wasn't and all is good now, thanks again Dave.

62 bullitt 09-18-2010 10:00 PM

It started doing it again but I think I figured it out might be my detent plate, it starts right up everytime when I hold the shift lever up. Think the detent plate is wearing down, not poping out of gear but slips just enough to where the car won't start.

simplyconnected 09-19-2010 12:51 PM

Your Neutral Switch can and should be adjusted.

62 bullitt 09-19-2010 06:58 PM

Can you brief me on this? Didn't know I could adjust just thought you bOught a new plate.

simplyconnected 09-19-2010 08:37 PM

The detent plate is a mechanical device that locks your shift lever into Park. As things wear over time, the mechanicals get sloppy which can cause your lever to slip into Reverse from the Park position. If yours is 'getting there', buy and install a new detent plate.

Your car also has an electrical switch that senses when your lever is in Park or Neutral. In those positions, the Neutral Switch allows current to your starter solenoid if you turn the key to Start.

The Neutral Switch is also used for folks with convertible tops. There is a screw adjustment on this switch, which allows contact closure ranging from, 'a little early' to 'a little late' as you cycle the shift lever. ALL automatics have a Neutral Switch (even new cars).

I hope this helps. - Dave

62 bullitt 09-19-2010 10:13 PM

Thanks again Dave, you've been really helpful. Is the neutral switch in the same area as the detent plate?

simplyconnected 09-19-2010 11:00 PM

Nooooo... it's farther down the steering column, but before it reaches the firewall. Look about half way down on the right for part number 7A247. That's the Neutral Switch. There are two part numbers because the 4-terminal is for the convertible.