Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Upper Suspension ( control ) Arm Bushings, Rear (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8754)

Anders 05-29-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyconnected (Post 45377)
Anders, there are some things I don't know about your installation:

Did you take any pictures before you started, for reference? No pic on the car, but in all honesty, there was only 2 bolts here. I even marked the front & rear part of the arm, even though itīs looks like you can mount it either way. But I was very careful and took the pic on "my wooden floor" so I could see how everything came from the car

Did you tighten the bushings when the car was level? Yes. By jacking up the rear axle to the extent it lifts the car, itīs the same as standing on the wheels. ( in my opinion....:o )This is important. It applies to the front steering suspension as well. At the factory, installers left all the bolts loose until the car was level, then a man underneath (in the pit) tightened everything. We do that today, as well. This confirm my suspiction that I might need to take it up on a lift, loosen "everything" and tighten it back. A lift where the car stands on the tires that is of course.

Are you sure all the components are in their right places? Yes. There is no doubt. There is only 1 screw in the front position, and 1 screw with a nut on the rear axle. I took them off and took a picture ( earlier post ) so every washer came as it was

When the car was new, assembling suspension parts was always a challenge. The parts are big, heavy, and hard to control. Parts do not fall into place. Assemblers (big men) used drift pins to align holes for the bolts.

If it is any consolation, Chevy had the same assembly issues as Ford. - Dave

Big thanks for the tips. Please keep them coming :o

gaffney1951 05-29-2010 11:26 PM

Perseverance is a trait ...

acquired over time by all true gear heads. Just hang in there and it will come together and you will be the better man for it. Don't be afraid to use a little leverage to get things lined up. :) Mike

Anders 06-01-2010 06:18 PM

I have now taken the upper control arm off again, and loosen all bolts around the rear axle, and the chocks before mounting the control arm back again. After then I start tighteen the screws carefully in steps before tighteen the last bit and then mount the chocks back.
It does works better now I have to admit, but I still feel the rear is stiffer than the front.
Guess I have to accept this as Iīm out of ideas.
I guess I need to try another bird and compaire. Just need to find one somewhere.... ;)
If anything new comes up, Iīll come back with that. :o

Dutchbird 06-01-2010 07:12 PM

Hey Anders,

GREAT to see you are in progress with your bushings!!!
(I'm not so often at the Forum these days as I should I wish)
As the stiffness of the rear, maybe it's also in a reason what compound they used for your bushings?

Just a guess.............

simplyconnected 06-01-2010 07:57 PM

Anders, I copied this out of the 1955 Ford shop manual:

You can see, Ford has been doing this tightening proceedure for a very long time.

Stiffness is caused by resistance to travel. Take the rear shock absorbers out of the system. Loosten the bottoms, and let them hang by themselves. Bounce your rear end. When you stop bouncing, it should continue up and down at least a few times by itself.

Shock absorbers can lock. Usually when they wear out, they offer no resistance, but I have seen them sieze from water getting inside. If you get real brave, pull the shocks all the way out and go for a ride without them. See if the rear end is still stiff.

Astrowing 06-07-2010 01:27 PM

Does someone have the specifications for the bushing sizes required for the rear arms and isolators? It does sound like a good solution would be to look at a bushings catalog for a match or at least they would be very close.

Anders 06-07-2010 05:08 PM

Looking at the shop manual, and also the company who vulcanize them for me booth mention that the bushings need to be pushed in by a press, so I never got any dimensions as they wanted the control arms and lathed it down until they could press them in. First try didnīt work out as it was to big, so they took down the diameter and tryed it again until they got them in.So "oversize" is the only hint I have....:o

Astrowing 06-09-2010 09:25 AM

I found a couple of bushing companies that are interested in helping us if we can provide the sizes for the '58 rear bushings.

This is what I have......
http://polybushings.com/pages/bushingsbysize.html

You'll need to measure yours and take a look. I know its a one year deal.
If you don't see it there, try......

http://www.suspension.com

call him, he might be able to help if you know what you need.

Johnny Spiva
PO Box 4283
Coos Bay Oregon 97420