Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Upper Suspension ( control ) Arm Bushings, Rear (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8754)

simplyconnected 05-15-2010 01:18 PM

Coral, that's why I like you so much... I bet if I looked up "sweetheart" in the dictionary, your picture will be right there next to it.

Coral 05-15-2010 02:50 PM

Well, Thanks Dave!

Dutchbird 05-15-2010 06:35 PM

Hi Anders,

Just got back from a week vacation, so have a lot of catching-up to do....
(Will reply later to your thread, for now it's just reading and reading)
What I can tell you, it was only possible for me back then to buy a complete kit.:eek:

Anders 05-15-2010 08:10 PM

Hi Marco,
Thankīs for bringing the thread back on track............

Dutchbird 05-16-2010 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, it's just a very quick reply but I digged the items that came in my kit:

5500 upper control arm bushings
5537 lower control arm rear bushings/insulators
5548 track bar bushings
5555 lower control arm front bushings

Here's a pic of the parts:

Anders 05-17-2010 12:46 AM

Where did you buy this kit? And from who? Do you remember if the 5500 bushings looked like the one in the drawing ( black & in one piece ) or if they where made of urethane in a light color and made of a few pieces?
Nearly every bushing is replaced on my car approx. 5 years ago and in excellent condition. Itīs just these that are missing.

Anders 05-17-2010 06:02 PM

Got the nut out tonight! :D

It worked with a 24mm wrench that I cut and velded in two 90 degree angels like a stair, so I got the handle parallel approx 1" off the ring.

Now back to hunt these bushings :o

YellowRose 05-17-2010 07:24 PM

Upper Suspension ( control ) Arm Bushings, Rear

Anders, congratulations on getting that nut off. Where there is a will, there is always a way! Good luck on hunting for those bushings. At least you know that you can get them from Rare Parts. They certainly have them, though they are not cheap.

gaffney1951 05-17-2010 10:58 PM

Bushings ...

As a last resort you could get some polyurethane stock and drill and machine them to size on a lathe. Burn out the old rubber ones and after cleaning and accurately measuring the openings machine the new poly ones a few thousandths over for an interference fit. The center steel insert that the bolt goes through can be made from steel tube stock. Tapper one end slightly and press in to the new bushing, again using a slight interference fit. You can probably make or have these made for the same price as rubber and they will improve your handling over stock. Mike

Richard D. Hord 05-18-2010 07:00 AM

Hey Mike,
Now that is what I'm talking about! Where there is a will there is a way. Way to go Mike!!! There are alway other ways to get the project done:)
Richard D. Hord