Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1959 T-Bird Build (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8299)

keith 03-01-2010 10:52 PM

1959 T-Bird Build

I thought I would post some pictures of a 1959 T-Bird that I am building. My hope is that I can share some of my experience to others that are building a car.
The first pictures are what it looked like before I started on it. I was skeptical of it from the beginning, but I like a challenge and couldn’t wait to tear into it. I think the paint and body repair were about 15- 20 yrs old.

This is what was hiding under the paint. The right rear ¼ is a fiberglass skin pop riveted on and covered in thick bondo. Both sides of the frame behind the wheel were covered in fiberglass and undercoated to hide the repair. Pretty shoddy work even in the time frame it was done in.

I got to get to work. I'll post so more later in the week.

Keith

Dakota Boy 03-01-2010 11:21 PM

Jeez..... it looks like a pretty nice car you are starting with.

Just needs a re-paint and some new sheet metal?

RustyNCa 03-01-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Boy (Post 42247)
Jeez..... it looks like a pretty nice car you are starting with.

Just needs a re-paint and some new sheet metal?

No kidding.... I'll trade you 59s.

Richard D. Hord 03-02-2010 06:45 AM

Hey Keith,
She still is a good looking old Bird. Take your time and fix her back right! Keep us posted.
Richard D. Hord

gaffney1951 03-02-2010 11:17 AM

Well Keith looks like ...

1 Attachment(s)
it's time to get out the the cut off wheels and the welder. I'm sure we will all follow with interest. Just keep your eye on the prize, and have at it. Mike

[IMG]file:///Users/Michael/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]

keith 03-02-2010 12:13 PM

Here are a couple more shots of it before.

Looks can be decieving.

Keith

keith 03-02-2010 12:31 PM

Got some pictures of what has been done.

Lots of work.

Keith

RustyNCa 03-02-2010 01:34 PM

So you are doing the bodywork yourself?

If I had the ability to deal with bodywork, I would sure be ahead of the game on my cars.

keith 03-02-2010 02:04 PM

Yes sir, that is correct. This is my full time hobby on nights and weekends.

Work in a factory by day. Got off night shift a few years ago.

Keith

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyNCa (Post 42261)
So you are doing the bodywork yourself?

If I had the ability to deal with bodywork, I would sure be ahead of the game on my cars.

keith 03-02-2010 02:05 PM

That is a sweet looking 'bird.

Keith

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaffney1951 (Post 42257)
it's time to get out the the cut off wheels and the welder. I'm sure we will all follow with interest. Just keep your eye on the prize, and have at it. Mike

[IMG]file:///Users/Michael/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]