Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   60 convertible; window washer system (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7756)

YellowRose 12-02-2009 12:00 PM

60 convertible; window washer system

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Ronald,

There is a lot of information on the Forum about the windshield washer pump and system. I hit the Search button above and did a search on windshield washer and got a lot of hits. This one shows what the '58-'59 and the 60 look like. There are are two different models. I think the bottom one is for the '60, which mounted off the generator. The windshield washer control on that dog leg in the picture is a vacuum operated switch, and according to some, is known to have loss of vacuum problems.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...dshield+washer

As for these chrome packages, it is hard to say what their quality is. Some have had problems with valve covers leaking after they have been chromed. The OEM valve covers for your '60 Tbird were yellow with the FORD name on them. I have chromed ones with the THUNDERBIRD name on them, which is not original for that car, but I like them. Chroming can be a problem with pot metal on our cars. The hood air scoop, those curved pieces around the tail lights, and perhaps other parts, are known to bend on you due to the heating process during chroming. I did not use my originals to be chromed. I bought extra parts and chromed them. I had bending problems with my air scoop and my curved pieces around the tail lights with one of them. I was able to get it in place. The air scoop was another story. I had to buy another one to get it right.

The engine picture is of an award winning fully originally restored '60 Tbird.

kuusamon 12-03-2009 05:59 AM

Thanks guys for the pictures and the explanation,
learning something every day.
Reason why all the questions so soon and one after the other before I actually work on the particular parts at this moment is that I have to think ahead. I am in Finland and there is a company container leaving in March next year to Europe so I have to collect all the parts that I need.

comes to wire wheels, I have read in other threads in this forum about some bad experience with them, leaking wire wheels in case of tubeless.
Which brand name wire wheels or dealer is good? and which white-wall tire brand name is good and long lasting?
or is your opinion to stick with the original hub caps, I do have original hubcaps on my car. and also a set of practically unused set of whitewalls (summer) is on my car still without the dry-out cracks.

regards

tbird430 12-03-2009 06:38 PM

I like the original 1960 T-Bird Sunray hub caps with the optional "dress-up" center medallions myself...

:rolleyes:
-Jon in TX.

Dan Leavens 12-03-2009 06:50 PM

Ronald I would tend to agree with Jon that the original Sunray hubcaps ( optional caps if you wish ) would look great on your 60, especially since it is a convert. However that is the beauty of owning your classic, as you get to put your personality in and on it. The chrome dress up engine, the wire rims, the wide whitewall tires or exterior chrome, is your decision and your vision.If you are a purist and want to keep it period correct, as it rolled off the line, you can do that too.Decisions, decisions:confused:

simplyconnected 12-03-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuusamon (Post 39472)
...Only thing is that the chrome valve covers do not have the letters, 'Ford' or 'thunderbird' raised on them...

Patent laws prohibit aftermarket companies from putting "FORD" or "THUNDERBIRD" on their products without a license from Ford. If you see valve covers with these raised letters, they are real Ford products, probably chrome plated by the owner.

Aftermarket places mass-produce chrome covers. They are usually not as heavy as original parts, but they work. Some restorers buy them so they can apply stickers. Not me. I like my original parts in rich, creamy, chrome.