Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   "CORRECT" battery for a 60 Bird (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=717)

msmaron1 11-30-2005 12:52 AM

"CORRECT" battery for a 60 Bird

Just got my New Battery from Antique Auto Battery co.
THis is what they state:

Hard rubber raised letter case, POLY TAR** top with red Power Punch caps. 100% correct.

I got exactly that and the words POWER PUNCH raised on the side in BLACK, Can someone verify that this is Correct,.. I was under the impression that the Power Punch letters were to be yellow and the caps to be Yellow.
Help me out here guys??
mark

Alexander 11-30-2005 07:40 AM

RE: "CORRECT" battery for a 60 Bird

The optional heavy duty 27NF is supposed to have yellow caps and the standard 29NF is supposed to have red caps according to the VTCI concours rules.

I bought a 27NF from Antique Auto Battery and it came with red caps. They claim that is correct.

The concours rules also state the battery should have the script in the matching color. I am not sure why the batteries for the price do not come prepainted.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top

msmaron1 11-30-2005 02:03 PM

Interesting, Antique auto battery says the VTCI is WRONG... batteries off the line in 1960 for the T-Bird did NOT HAVE any colored letters at all, only the raised black rubber. After marker batteries in stores in 1960 DID have red or yellow letters...
This one is confusing.

mark
:o

Alexander 11-30-2005 02:36 PM

It is interesting that the displays for the antique batteries show colored letters, but the ones thet sell are unpainted. Maybe it was like that originally when the batteries were sold. In many applications, when the battery is installed in the car, you cannot see much of the sides of the battery.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top

msmaron1 11-30-2005 05:56 PM

Actually that is what they are saying that the batteries were never colored and their ads are to be able to see them better
mark

tmjsong1aolcom 11-30-2005 08:27 PM

I do not have the parts book info infront of me, but will go into detail later. As far as Antique bat goes, I also recieved the same info from them. They do know that Ford had 3 sizes avail all three years. They have yellow caps avail and will supply when buying the larger size battery. I have yellow caps on my 58.

As far as painted versus not painted, if requested they will paint them any color you want, but need to request when ordering, i assume this goes for the caps.

Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.

msmaron1 12-01-2005 12:42 AM

ok makes sense. i got the NP27 heavy duty battery, 70 amp and from what i was able to get from Alan Tast it SHOULD have the yellow caps..you agree?
mark

tmjsong1aolcom 12-01-2005 11:41 PM

I reviewed my parts book and will list the sizes ect for the 58/59 batteries.

amp dimensions color
58 battery
55 12.5X 8.90X 5.50 red caps
65 12.5X 8.03X 5.47 silver caps
70 11.97X 8.03X 6.78 yellow caps

59 battery
55 13.0X 8.90X 5.5 red caps
65 13.0X 8.90X 5.5 silver caps
70 12.5X 8.90X 6.78 yellow caps

The parts book says painted the same color as the cap. Your choice to paint or not to paint.
The dimensions while slightly different for these 2 years the 60 follows a similar change year to year. That is why I did not say you have an exact reproduction. You have one that is close and no way one can tell the difference by looking at it. But if you have the larger size then you need yellow caps.

Hope this helps.
Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.

msmaron1 12-02-2005 03:27 PM

Yup that is what i found out and they are sending me a set of yellow caps, Thanks again
mark

Travlin 02-21-2006 05:00 AM

>It is interesting that the displays for the antique
>batteries show colored letters, but the ones thet sell are
>unpainted. Maybe it was like that originally when the
>batteries were sold. In many applications, when the battery
>is installed in the car, you cannot see much of the sides of
>the battery.
>
>Alexander

Kinda makes me wonder about a lot of the VTCI rules ... some things don't make a lot of sense, like batteries coming from the factory with colored lettering. For some reason, I just don't see it.