Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trunk lid gasket fit ... (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6745)

gaffney1951 06-11-2009 01:05 PM

Trunk lid gasket fit ...

3 Attachment(s)
I'am installing a new trunk gasket on the 60'. There is no gasket now to compare to and the pics I have been able to find don't show enough detail. From the pics I've seen the gasket goes on the trunk lid, correct? From looking at the gasket I have it almost seems it would have to be installed on edge to seal. Also the lid does'nt fit evenly around the perimeter of the trunk. It fits right at the top and bottum in the center but is 3/8 to 1 /2" low on the bottum outside corners and on the outside edges going up toward the top. I tried putting wood blocks under the outside corners and pushing down on the middle at the trunk latch but it just springs back. Any help much appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Coral 06-11-2009 02:04 PM

Heres a few pix.......

http://picasaweb.google.com/astikenn...eat=directlink

YellowRose 06-11-2009 03:41 PM

Trunk lid gasket fit ...

Thanks for posting those pix of the trunk seal, Cathie! You are a terrific help to our members with the things you come up with in research. :D Good Job! That should help him figure it out.

GTE427 06-11-2009 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a Ford Bulletin to add bumpers in the rear corners near the outboard tail-lights to help raise the trunk lid. If adjustment and the installation of the new gasket do not improve the fit, I'll locate and post the Bulletin if that will help.

Anders 06-11-2009 05:10 PM

Funny, as I was just looking at my trunk today. I am quite confused how to change that "black paper" that are in between the trunk top & inside sheet metal. Mine was in such a bad shape, and looked realy bad, so I just tryed to get rid of it. But it is still behind the structure, and I have no clue how to get it off the car. I found it was rusty behind it, but luckely, only a thin layer of rust. My worries is how to get it rustfree behind this structure.
Anyway, I also noticed that my trunk latch have a bracket or washer in between the latch and the trunk in the most rear position of the two bolts. This make the trunk fit quite nice to be honest.

tbirds8 06-11-2009 07:19 PM

Leave it behind the ribs or your going to here al kinds of rattles

gaffney1951 06-11-2009 08:35 PM

Thanks for posting the pics Cathie, but I may have to start calling you Sunshine as that's what your pic brings to mind. Ken, if you could post that bulletin that would be great. Seems like that may be what it's going to take. Thanks, Mike

Coral 06-12-2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirds8 (Post 33336)
Leave it behind the ribs or your going to here al kinds of rattles

You can always replace it with rolled cork - sound proofing, insulation and water resistance...

Coral 06-12-2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowRose (Post 33314)
Thanks for posting those pix of the trunk seal, Cathie! You are a terrific help to our members with the things you come up with in research. :D Good Job! That should help him figure it out.

awe, shucks...thanks Ray....

Coral 06-12-2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaffney1951 (Post 33341)
Thanks for posting the pics Cathie, but I may have to start calling you Sunshine as that's what your pic brings to mind. Ken, if you could post that bulletin that would be great. Seems like that may be what it's going to take. Thanks, Mike

Oh lordy, thank you....I was just looking for a pic I was smiling in......