Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sequential Tail Lights on a 1960 Thunderbird (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65)

Alexander 06-12-2003 11:07 PM

Sequential Tail Lights on a 1960 Thunderbird

I have thought of using the sequential tail light kit by WebElectric Products ( http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm ) on my 1960 Thunderbird to make this a Squarebird version of the 1965 Thunderbird onward type of sequential turn signal. The inner back up light would be replaced with a red tail light lens in this conversion.

What do you think about this?

http://www.squarebirds.org/images/sequential.gif

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top

Monty 06-17-2003 09:37 AM

RE: Sequential Tail Lights on a 1960 Thunderbird

Neat but would you still have a back up light somewhere. I believe this would also make your car safer to drive as it improve attention getting from those people talking on their cell phones. Its amazing how many people pass you and don't take a look at what your driving -- they don't see anything but their distination. I have a WWII jeep with 50 cal machine gun and you can be ideling at a light and 80% of the people wouldn't look over. Now that other 20% shout and flash lights, or thumbs up or call the police.

Alexander 06-17-2003 10:17 AM

I am still deciding where to put in the back up lights. I will mount it on the license plate frame, the trialer hitch or in the pair of the lower bumper mounting bolts.

I got the sequential kit yesterday. It took only two days to get it delivered by priority mail. If the weather is nice, I will install it this weekend.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top

Alexander 06-20-2003 03:10 PM

Installing the module is very simple. You do not even need to cut or modify any of the original wiring.

I posted a video of the sequentials in operation on my 1960 Golde Top at http://www.squarebirds.org/sequential.htm .

I will post full wiring directions soon.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top

dave97LSC 06-26-2003 10:19 PM

Alexander,
I was very impressed in seeing the sequential tail lights, it really adds a nice touch to your goldetop, nice mod.
Thanks for turning me on to this great site, learning alot about these great cars, I'm hooked.
Don't be surprised if you see me cruise on by one Tuesday night with a squarebird. I would love to own a 60 convertible with all the options.

Dave
non-squarebird owner

Alexander 06-27-2003 10:14 AM

Dave,

Welcome to the site. Squarebirds are great cars. They have a personality all their own. If you are ever looking for one, I help you evaluate the car. I know a little about these cars. :)

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top

Rockin Kev 06-30-2003 07:09 PM

Alex,
Well how cool is that i got to have this light set up, i will get my mate to drive the car then i can see it in action. The Golde top is under restoration big time now , got all the bits to do it so will start it soon.Here in England we have amber turn signals ,so i have nearly been rear ended by drivers who cant remmember red turn signals as they went out in 63.
Kev 60 Golde Top
Thunderbirds of England.

birdthunder60 06-30-2003 08:11 PM

That is a good price. I paid about $170 a year ago from a local company. That included an adjustible underdash flasher. I can set the speed of the sequentials. I like it slow. When I first installed the unit I found myself making needless turns to show it off. By the way it took me the better part of day to hook it up neatly with connectors and heatshrink, pulling out the back seat for wiring and puling out my speedometer to reach the flasher. and of course pulling off my waffle plates to replace the backup lens. It was a simple wire hook up. and the solid state unit is smaal enough to hide. I find that the engine has to be running though for them to work properly. When I first put them in I was mesmerized by the appearance and just gazed at them endlessly. Bob

yessong 08-06-2003 12:51 PM

Though I don't have a square bird...YET...I do have a '65 and, yeah, those sequential lights are one of my favorite features of the car. They just blow people away!

Eric 09-23-2003 05:51 PM

I have just ordered the sequential tail light kit. Thanks Alexander for the wiring directions. I still have some questions (Iím not an electrician). Abowe you wrote itís not even need to cut or modify any of the original wiring, but in your directions it looks like you have cut the wires to the lamp sockets.

The on line instructions by WebElectric Products advise to cut the signal wire (the green one from socket) that goes to the middle lamp and then connect the white module wire to the wire that goes to the socket and cover the dangling wire with electrical tape. Wonít I loose the brake light on the middle lamp then? Isnít it necessary to cut the wire (the single black one from socket) to the inner lamp and connect red module wire there? Then I lose the back up light? I could have misunderstood something here.

I think have the standard lamp configuration, outer lamp (parking light, turn signal and brake light), middle lamp (brake light), and inner lamp (back up light). Help will be appreciated.