Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   FYI - 59 production rate in Nov. 58 (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5057)

vernz 08-01-2008 10:12 PM

FYI - 59 production rate in Nov. 58

I shot some pictures of 5 junk yard Squarebirds that I will post soon. I included pictures of the data plates and found that the VIN number on one of the 59's is only 383 higher than mine. The date code on mine is 10L (a Tuesday), and the date code on the junk yard car is 13L (a Friday). So that's 383 cars produced in 3-4 days.

Vern

JohnG 08-03-2008 10:00 PM

sounds reasonable... I believe there were about 38,000 58 TBirds made (rounded off) and if I assume that there are about 250 work days in a year, then that comes out to about 150 cars produced per day.

150 brand new Squarebirds out the door every day...just imagine!!!

John

Penelope 08-03-2008 11:52 PM

John, I wonder what the numbers are like now - how much have we progressed? Then you could go futher, how many staff back then compared to now, and the ultimate question how many cars per day per staff member?

I bet the results would be startling, and a little bit frightening......

Anders 08-04-2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 24104)

150 brand new Squarebirds out the door every day...just imagine!!!

John

bcomo 08-04-2008 09:39 AM

I see something very interesting in that photo.

Look at the slanted headlights on car behind the T-Bird --- is that a Lincoln.

If so, would that be a photo of the Wixom assembly plant where they assembled the T-Birds with the 430 engines?

fomoco59 08-04-2008 09:49 AM

Yes, that's a '60 Lincoln. All TBirds and Lincolns were built at the same plant in Wixom.
Looks like they're assembling the bumpers.

tbird430 08-04-2008 10:20 AM

Wouldn't u like to time travel back to when/where that picture was taken Bart? Just image what we could find in a few of those parts boxes in the background.... LOL!!! :D

bcomo 08-04-2008 11:13 AM

Don't you know that when they closed down that Wixom plant, there HAD to have been some old stuff laying around in the old inventory that got trashed.

I restored a 64 Corvair and went around to these little town dealerships with my parts book, and they would come up with these old dusty boxes from the back room with NOS stuff.

LuckyJay 08-04-2008 12:55 PM

I notice a couple of things. First, look at the similarity of the downward swoop design in the side of both the bird and the lincoln. I had not recalled that detail til now. Also, there appears to be 2 more birds on line after the Lincoln. All of them are light colored. If that shot is from Aug 13 1960, one of them could be our Tami T-Bird.

vernz 08-04-2008 03:28 PM

Speaking of parts laying around, my father was an auto mechanic. He had his own shop and did a lot of work on antiques. One day he asked me to help him pick up some old parts at a salvage yard where he knew the owner well. The salvage yard had a building that stored rebuilt parts and he was going to scrap all the old stuff, so he was giving my father in law anything he wanted. This was in the early 70's. We filled the back of his pickup truck with rebuilt fuel pumps, alternators and carburetors and could have made two more trips if he wanted to. There was a pile of stuff from the 50's. I have no idea what ever happened to it all.

Vern