Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Disk Brake Conversion Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5023)

tbirds8 09-04-2008 08:30 PM

I think it was 67. As my 66 has a single

tbirdave 09-04-2008 08:47 PM

Yes!!!! do the conversion it's amazing how much diference it makes. I got my bolt on kit from Larry's Thunderbird. As for the wheels, 14" Mustang wheels will fit and you can use your original wheel covers.
Tbirdave

JohnG 09-04-2008 11:36 PM

What year(s) Mustang wheels would fit and also take TBird hubcaps??

The hunt for wheels seems to be the trickiest part of this...

El Guapo 09-05-2008 12:03 AM

I have both..Guapo's got disc (were on when I bought him)not shure what was used.And Chiquita has drums.I sincerly believe the disc conversion is well worth it.Both work well but the disc work far better and are better trusted.
Chiquita's getting a 428 PI and theres nothing more important than brakes and tires.Though with a clutch and 5 speed I do have a bit of an advantage

tbird430 09-05-2008 01:42 PM

On the 1st page of this thread (And I read somewhere else on this site) the 14" steel wheels off a 1998 Ford Ranger work great and are very plentiful. ;)

Howard Prout 10-23-2009 09:50 AM

I have read through the rheams and rheams of discussion on this issue and the more I read the more confused I get. Has anyone made the conversion using the exisiting spindles, tires and hubcaps? Can 14" x 6" rims be used or are 14" x 7" rims required? With the wider rims, is there a clearance problem with the upper control arms and the rear wheel wells?

simplyconnected 10-23-2009 08:54 PM

Howard, I've been waiting for others to chime-in. As stated below, you should ask Lance Herrington, owner of Thunderbirds Southwest. His phone number is 1-800-722-8697 (La Grange, TX). I believe Ray Clark knows him, and everyone says Lance is a real nice guy. - Dave

protourbird 10-24-2009 10:50 AM

You cannot run the original spindles on any of the conversions since the calipers bolt to the spindle and they have to be cast with those bosses already on them. There have been companies that have tried different ways to adapt the calipers to the original spindles but I have yet to see one that is successful. As for the 14X6 wheel the only one I know of for sure that will work is the Stainless Steel Brakes kit ssbrakes.com. Perhaps some out there can comment on the other styles.

simplyconnected 10-24-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protourbird (Post 38386)
You cannot run the original spindles on any of the conversions since the calipers bolt to the spindle and they have to be cast with those bosses already on them...

I never removed my original spindles, just cleaned them up a little and put disk brakes on them with 11" Mustang rotors. They work VERY well with no bad habits.

Jim, there are several companies that make brackets that bolt directly to your stock spindles. I bought mine from Scarebird (on eBay), and I am using my original spindles.
Check out my retrofit.
My car is a Galaxie, but they make brackets for Thunderbird as well.

I have not tried using 14" wheels because I really wanted 15" Cragar SS mags w/radial tires. I understand 14" Bronco and Mustang wheels work, but call Lance Herrington to verify.

Howard Prout 10-24-2009 09:19 PM

Thanks Dave (SimplyConnected) for the link to the great photos. They really helped me understand what is involved in the changeover. I talked to "Dave" at DropNStop (www.dropnstop.com) a while ago. They have a kit for Squarebirds that retains axle height and uses stock wheels! He said that to do a proper job I need to install an external power brake booster and a dual chamber master cylinder which they can also supply.