Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trunk Light Option -- Anyone Know? (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3715)

bcomo 12-09-2007 11:06 AM

Trunk Light Option -- Anyone Know?

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone seen, know of, or have a photo showing the optional trunk light for the Squarebird?

Mac's has one listed for the 58-66, but I don't know if this looks like the original. It must work on a mercury switch, because I don't see what makes it turn on on/off.

Alexander 12-09-2007 11:20 AM

Yes, that light has a mercury switch. It is Ford light from the early sixties. I have a diagram of the trunk light for the Squarebird.

bcomo 12-09-2007 11:36 AM

When you get time, maybe you can post that diagram. I haven't got a clue as to where it goes, or how it's mounted.

Meanwhile, I'll go ahead and order the light from Mac's.

Thanks.

Alexander 12-09-2007 04:44 PM

bcomo 12-09-2007 05:25 PM

Thanks Alexander.

I'll post a photo when I get it done later on. Running the hot lead from the front will be the deal.

GTE427 02-18-2008 02:38 PM

I was fortunate yesterday to spend time with a 60 HT on it's last day. This was a 430HT, A/C, Rose (V) with a black leather interior (86). Nicely optioned car, spot light, trunk antenna, W/S washer, full power, trunk light.

I pulled the trunk light and will post pictures later. It has definite markings, none are Ford or Fomoco.

I slavaged want little was left and useable in addition to buying the entire driveline. I asked the owner to have the yard cut the 430 mounts out, only hope they will do so. Took the data plate and another plate stamped Wixon 2364, will also post pictures.

bcomo 02-19-2008 12:26 AM

Ken:

I'll be interested in seeing what the trunk light looks like before you put it in -- as it was pulled.

Glad you were with the old girl on her last day -- but still sad.

GTE427 02-19-2008 09:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The light doesn't appear to have been assembly line installed, the wire wasn't neatly routed as in the diagrams that Alexander posted, but it could still be dealer installed.
The wire was spliced into the trunk harness and routed thru the underside trunk bracing. The light is 2.5" dia x 1.375 " high. Maybe someone will know if this is the correct light for the squarebird era.

The following is stamped on the cover:

JOHN W. HOBBS CORP.
PAT NOS.
MADE IN
USA
SPRINGFIELD ILL

The numbers may not be correct as they are hard read as the die was so small.

YellowRose 02-19-2008 12:27 PM

Trunk Light Option -- Anyone Know? Reply to Thread

I Googled the company name and location. The J.W. Hobbs Corp. is still in existence! It is part of the Honeywell Corp. Below is their information. This light is probably no longer being manufactured according to the person I spoke with. She would need their part number. If you can find that part number on the unit she will be able to tell you if they still make it. Perhaps giving her the patent numbers would help? I looked through some of their catalogs and could find nothing like it anymore.

www.hobbs-corp.com
J.W. Hobbs Corporation
P.O Box 19424
Springfield, Illinois, U.S.A. 62794-9424
Phone: (217) 753-7752
Fax: (217) 753-7789
email: hobbs.marketing@hobbs-corp.com

Ray
'59 "Yellow Rose" VTCI #11178

tbirds8 02-19-2008 05:53 PM

That looks just like the light on the hood of my mark111?