Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Golde Top (Sunroof) Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Golde Top Production numbers? (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2899)

AussieTbird 06-26-2007 12:52 PM

Golde Top Production numbers?

My first post as the proud new owner of a '60 Golde top (352) with Cruisomatic and A/C. She's beautiful, and on her way to Australia!

I have only just become aware of the rarity of the Golde top option. Can anyone give me an idea as to the total production of this model, and how much the Golde top adds to the value of a non-sunroof car?

Cheers

PR

AussieTbird 06-26-2007 01:15 PM

Original Golde roof?

Also, after reading a few of the other posts, I am questioning whether it has a factory Golde roof. What is the size of the actual opening? I have looked at the press release photo on this site, and it seems to have a larger "hole" than mine, althpough the turn handle mechanism appaers to be the same.

Maybe the press release shot was not the final Golde fitment? I realise that the punch card is hopefully in the sun roof panel, but I can't check now, as the car is on the water. Can anyone assist?

Thanks again.

PR

Alexander 06-27-2007 10:09 AM

Welcome to the site.

The production of the 1960 Golde Top was 2536 or 2500 depending on the sources. It is rare.

There are subtle differences between the press release photo and the actual production roof, notably the attachment of the sunroof headliner to the front of the sunroof.

The roof opening is very wide compared to current sunroofs. It is exactly a meter across (39.37 inches). The roof is of German design, so it is not so surprising that that it is metric in measurement.

JohnG 06-27-2007 06:52 PM

Alexander, of the 2500 or so, do you have any numbers on how many had 352's and how many had 430's??

On a different note, I have a vague recollection from several years ago that there was a Golde Top found in NH that was electric. Was any additional information ever gathered on that one?? I seem to recall that someone in Britain or someplace had purchased the sunroof part and had it removed.

John
non Golde Top owner

Alexander 06-27-2007 09:14 PM

Ford left no official record as to specific options with other options. I don't think there is specific information as to how many 430 engined 1959 and 1960's were made. We know they were less than 10 percent of production, maybe even less than 5 percent.

Rockin' Kev of this site bought the roof of that electric Golde Top.

JohnG 06-28-2007 07:44 AM

Ah!! That is the source of the thread "Power Golde"... thanks!

john

Bob M 06-28-2007 04:02 PM

Your car is on the water just was wondering where you had to go to find your car and how many Squarebirds do you think you might have in your country
Bob M
Kentucky,USA

Dan Leavens 06-29-2007 06:40 PM

Peter welcome to the site and I too am interested, in knowing just how many squarebirds you might have in Auatralia.Keep your posts coming and let us know when she arrives.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada

Alexander 06-30-2007 09:58 AM

I have sent out at least half a dozen detent plates to Australia, so there must a lot of dedicated Squarebird enthusiasts there.

byersmtrco 07-02-2007 10:33 AM

There were 377 1960 Thuderbirds w/sunroofs and 430's.
Unsure of prod #'s for 59 430 TBirds (Not many)