Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Ford Electrical Problems ~ General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   engine occasionally misfiring (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22059)

Geoffreybusuttilmalta 10-11-2017 03:29 PM

engine occasionally misfiring

i need serious help on this. got a total engine rebuild. and it works very fine. with 100% compression on all cylinders etc... installed a new distributor too . but when checking the spark with a stroboscope. on each ht lead.. number 5 seems to not work continuously . and when touching / pressing the distributor cap .. it works .,.. and when not touching it it doesnt show any spark.. eventually sometimes while im drivin i m feeling the bird rattleing.. even the acellerator pedal... what could it be guys... ? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

would really appreciate some help pls thanks from Malta EU. if maybe someone can help by finding me on facebook.. my name is geoffrey busuttil :) thanks againnn

geoffrey

jopizz 10-11-2017 03:57 PM

If it only fires when you press on the cap then it sounds like an issue between the rotor and the cap. Are your rotor and cap new and are you sure they are correct. It may be just poor quality replacement parts. I recommend buying the best quality parts you can find. Try cleaning the #5 contact on the underside of the cap. Maybe some plastic is overlapping it.

John

jopizz 10-11-2017 04:14 PM

Also are your points adjusted to spec. Did you check it with a dwell meter. Don't assume with a new distributor right out of the box that the points are set correctly. That distributor fits multiple cars and every model has different gap settings.

John

Geoffreybusuttilmalta 10-11-2017 06:24 PM

as what regards the gaps me and my mechanic checked that it is 0.4 mm ... which is at it should be ... as per distributor .... i bought it from birdsnest,.,. .. one thing ... could it be some wiring issue? ... because i was told by guys at work.. that it could be because of some wiring.......

jopizz 10-11-2017 06:45 PM

If it fires when you push down on the cap then why would you suspect anything other than a distributor issue? If the guys at work think they know what the problem is then ask one of them to fix it for you. I'm giving you my opinion but if you think they know more than I do then I won't bother with this thread anymore.

John

Geoffreybusuttilmalta 10-11-2017 07:01 PM

for being an administrator. sorry telling you that`s a very rude and bad tempered reply ... if everyone was an expert like you . this forum would be closed

just tryin to understand whats goin on man..

sidewalkman 10-11-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffreybusuttilmalta (Post 111636)
for being an administrator. sorry telling you that`s a very rude and bad tempered reply ... if everyone was an expert like you . this forum would be closed

just tryin to understand whats goin on man..

Hey Geoffrey, you likely caught John at a bad moment, but he has a point. There is no 'wiring' inside the cap that would be affected by pushing on the cap. it can only be a problem between the cap and rotor if it is repaired by pushing on the cap. Regardless of what your well meaning co-workers think. Replace the cap and rotor, a lot of what we get from resellers good and bad are repops from China, and most of us have experienced issues with them.

As far as getting advise here. You can take it to the bank, there are a bunch of contributors, John being one of them that have saved me countless hours of trial and error, they've done all of it dozens of times, and are willing to share the knowledge with you. Understand that if they offer you advise and before taking you seek help from your buddies, most if not all of whom have never owned a T-Bird you can see the frustration that might happen. It's up to you whether or not you avail yourself of the knowledge here but it's sound advise!

jopizz 10-11-2017 07:25 PM

Scott,

Thanks. I couldn't have said it better myself.

John

Geoffreybusuttilmalta 10-11-2017 07:28 PM

yeah i know infact here in malta t birds are rare.. so i preferred askin here... you know .. when your talking with buddies at work who are car enthusiasts.. but deep down you know that on this forum you`d find more relaible help ... i just didnt like the way i was answered.. its as if i did something wrong . but anyway... regarding the rotor and dist cap... i think i d use the ones i previously had ... and put them on to the new distributor.. hope it`ll work well .. in that case ... for future reference ... i d be more carefull on what i buy

cheeers man:)

sidewalkman 10-11-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopizz (Post 111638)
Scott,

Thanks. I couldn't have said it better myself.

John

I don't think Geoffrey noticed your almost 4800 posts!!! It's almost a full time job!