Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Squarebird Wheel Specs (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22058)

Deanj 10-11-2017 02:18 PM

Squarebird Wheel Specs
 
Seems I have a chronic left front original steel wheel bead leaker. The shop just keeps putting more sealer and it's unlikely they'll do more labor to it. The wheel is slightly crimped at the bead, also.

Bird's Nest wants about $120 plus shipping (no way) and I think this is a standard Ford 14" x 6.5", zero offset, and a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. Anyone confirm?

I'd swap the spare tire wheel, but that isn't too bright unless I want a spare at 13 lbs. So I'm considering an aftermarket clone steel wheel if I can verify the specs, or listen to the other voices of reason.

Dean

jopizz 10-11-2017 02:23 PM

Ford 14" rims from the early-mid 90's fit just fine and they're a lot cheaper than buying new rims. You will find them on Ranger pickups and Aerostar Vans among others. The bolt pattern is 5 X 4.5(114.3).

John

Woobie 10-11-2017 02:33 PM

The only other original spec that i can think of is the originals are not a vented wheel.

Anyway, I'd want to see the wheel before letting the shop throw it in the recycling pile.

There was also a previous thread and some of the information dealt with a specific sequence to dismount and mount the tires.

Deanj 10-11-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopizz (Post 111618)
Ford 14" rims from the early-mid 90's fit just fine and they're a lot cheaper than buying new rims. You will find them on Ranger pickups and Aerostar Vans among others. The bolt pattern is 5 X 4.5(114.3).

John

The Ranger and Aerostar are 14 x 6 with a 70.3 center bore. Was my 14 x 6.5 incorrect?

Dean

sidewalkman 10-11-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanj (Post 111621)
The Ranger and Aerostar are 14 x 6 with a 70.3 center bore. Was my 14 x 6.5 incorrect?

Dean

Pretty sure stock is only 6"

OX1 10-11-2017 03:30 PM

I have an extra set of rims I got with my 59, plus I bought rims for the front disks, and then rims with less backspacing for the back, to closer match the front.

I think I might have 7 (might have used a stock wheel for spare, don't recall) or 8 wheels I don't need any longer. You want one, it is yours for the fair

Deanj 10-11-2017 06:44 PM

That is very kind of you. I need a couple days to see if this refitted wheel holds air or we need to start calculating!

Dean

del 10-11-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobie (Post 111620)
There was also a previous thread and some of the information dealt with a specific sequence to dismount and mount the tires.

My local shop (for modern cars) learned the hard way that the tires must be removed from these wheels starting with the outside facing down of the machine. Otherwise the bead gets messed up.

Deanj 10-12-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OX1 (Post 111624)
I have an extra set of rims I got with my 59, plus I bought rims for the front disks, and then rims with less backspacing for the back, to closer match the front.

I think I might have 7 (might have used a stock wheel for spare, don't recall) or 8 wheels I don't need any longer. You want one, it is yours for the fair

I'll be sending you a private message since this tire is still leaking. They fix one place and another by a slightly bent area is leaking. I can't pass up the opportunity.

Dean

Deanj 10-24-2017 12:19 PM

I'd like to thank OX1, Oxley, for his spare wheel which I'm substituting for my leaky original. This was very kind of him.

I sanded the entire wheel paying close attention to the bead, applied rust converter, and painted it. Beautiful. It's now curing a few days before delivering it and the leaker to the goof ball tire experts for a new mount and balance.

Dean


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.