Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Engine oil additive (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22038)

Frango100 10-03-2017 07:51 AM

Engine oil additive

Since modern engine oils lack (sufficient) ZDDP, i was looking for some alternative.
I found here an additive branded " Comp cams", which is an engine break-in additive which seems to have ZDDP in it. Anyone who can recommend this? (quite expensive stuff)
And what about Militec 1? Could this be a substitute for the ZDDP?
Iīm using Motul classic 20W50, which should be for 1950-1970 engines, but it doesnīt state anything about ZDDP and even motul couldnīt tell me.

JohnG 10-03-2017 08:48 AM

you should be able to look up the additives to any oil you are considering, and thus take the guesswork out of it.

You can also simply buy a container of additive and do something like one container per oil change. See

https://zddplus.com/ (good background reading here)

Hemmings will sell you their version all set to go:

https://www.hemmings.com/classic-oil/20w50

John

Woobie 10-03-2017 08:51 AM

Melling M-10012 was the product that we used. If it helped I couldn't say.

Frango100 10-03-2017 09:25 AM

Thanks for the answers guys. My biggest problem is that we have very limited options here in Brazil and shipping internationally makes it very expensive.
The "Comp cams" stuff is for sale here for an equivalent of USD 62 for 12 FL. OZ.

JohnG 10-03-2017 09:34 AM

the oil you have MIGHT be ok. Check it out. The limitations were primarily aimed at 10W-30 as it was used in the cars with catalytic converters (the source of the issue). 20W-50 may not have been impacted and thus might have sufficient levels of zinc and so on.

You may well be able to find the levels online.

20W-50 for classic motorcycles like Hondas and so on comes to mind as good. Valvoline 20W-50 Racing Oil.

If you send me a PM with your regular email address, I will send some notes I took years back from some oil guy on
a car program that went in to specific levels need for flat tappet motors.

Infinite Monkeys 10-03-2017 09:43 AM

Just wondering if people are routinely using an additive.

Frango100 10-03-2017 10:02 AM

Couldnīt find any specific info from Motul itself, but the oil specification is API SF, which should have at least 1500 PPM of ZDDP. Strange that Motul doesnīt give any information on the actual levels.

JohnG 10-03-2017 11:26 AM

perhaps they buy it from someone else and slap their own label on it.

jopizz 10-03-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys (Post 111452)
Just wondering if people are routinely using an additive.

I usually use oil that has ZDDP already in it like Rotella T 15W-40.

John

p38fighter 10-03-2017 04:49 PM

1959 Convertible

My machinist got me a case of Monolec Ultra 15-40. I used it in a 62 F100 flat tappet motor and have it in this 352. Mfg by Lubrication Engineers Inc.

simplyconnected 10-03-2017 09:34 PM

Since the 1960's, I've used my 'special concoction' for building engines. It's no secret recipe but a heavy mixture of name brand 10W-30 and STP.

The idea behind it is twofold. All the parts need lubrication but some parts do better with thin oil (like pistons) and other areas need lubrication that will stick and not drain off.

STP is high in ZDDP but they won't reveal the numbers. I called them but they wouldn't budge. This is typical with oil companies. Flat tappets need zinc and phosphorus, engine oil from the past had plenty of this 'last ditch' protection. Modern motor oils with 40 or more in their numbers have around 1,200-PPM ZDDP. For that reason, I use Shell Rotella 15W-40 with NO other additive. Rotella is primarily a diesel lubricant for severe service but it also works well in classic engines.

Funny thing is, it's easier to know if your oil ISN'T protecting because your lifters and cam will tell you when they fail. I recently built a 351W for Brian Wheeler. The cam and lifters I removed were shot. Lifters were dished and the cam was worn past the heat treat. Other parts of the engine didn't look so bad. Regardless, I had the block totally machined and replaced the heads and intake with Edelbrock aluminum. We used a Comp Cams hydraulic roller assembly to eliminate the ZDDP requirement. - Dave