Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Steering control valve to ram fluid line routing (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21966)

Infinite Monkeys 09-15-2017 12:40 PM

Steering control valve to ram fluid line routing

I was about to plum the valve and the ram and realized I did not take note of how the lines were connected before removing them. According to the manual the back port on the valve goes to the back port on the ram and same for the front ports on the two parts. (The orientation of the ports is as they are attached on the vehicle. The back port is the back of the car, front port is the front of the car)

Is this correct? I'll only get one chance at it, if I'm wrong then it's back to the parts store for another tube.

Thanks again.

jopizz 09-15-2017 12:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The lines run straight, they do not cross over. If you have the factory metal lines they run over the pitman arm as per the picture. If you have rubber lines they run under the arm.

John

Infinite Monkeys 09-15-2017 12:56 PM

Thanks again.

Infinite Monkeys 09-15-2017 02:20 PM

All done

Done with the steering ram, valve reseal. Put in new valve to ram hard lines, made my own for about 10 X less than the cost of buying from a vendor. No leaks, looks good.

Just want to say thank you all.

Tbird6 09-16-2017 05:58 PM

Hopefully the hard lines won't leak on you.

I never could get the solid tubing setup to last and not leak. There is enough movement between the control valve and the cylinder that the hard lines can't take it.

I finally converted to the flexible rubber hoses. I figured that was why Ford eventually went that way too.

Infinite Monkeys 09-16-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbird6 (Post 111074)
Hopefully the hard lines won't leak on you.

I never could get the solid tubing setup to last and not leak. There is enough movement between the control valve and the cylinder that the hard lines can't take it.

I finally converted to the flexible rubber hoses. I figured that was why Ford eventually went that way too.

I did not consider the movement causing a leak in time, but I can see how it's probably inevitable. We'll see.
Thanks

Deanj 09-18-2017 11:43 AM

Interesting to learn that Ford switched to rubber hose? I've only seen the metal lines for sale. Who sells the rubber hose? It should fit more than one application.

Dean

jopizz 09-18-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanj (Post 111110)
Interesting to learn that Ford switched to rubber hose? I've only seen the metal lines for sale. Who sells the rubber hose? It should fit more than one application.

Dean

All the vendors should carry them. Here they are from Mac's.
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_th...-ram-1960.html

John

partsetal 09-18-2017 12:54 PM

Be aware that the metal lines were appropriate for the '60 and the fittings are 5/16". The rubber lines are correct for the 58-9 and the fittings are 1/4" and would need adapters to fit the '60.
Carl

jopizz 09-18-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partsetal (Post 111113)
Be aware that the metal lines were appropriate for the '60 and the fittings are 5/16". The rubber lines are correct for the 58-9 and the fittings are 1/4" and would need adapters to fit the '60.
Carl

According to the info on Mac's website the rubber hoses are 5/16" or come with a fitting adapter. The description is confusing. They must be new as I don't remember 5/16" hoses being available in rubber before.

John