Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Seat cover recommendations? (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21934)

JohnG 09-11-2017 12:09 AM

Seat cover recommendations?

I have a red and white interior (XG). I am at a point of wanting to replace the seat covers as the drivers is cracking on the rear and the colors were never quite correct. Also my rear foam is at the graham cracker stage of life.

I was looking at MACs Fall 2017 catalogue and found a complete set of covers (f & r) for $505. Rear seat foam for $409. So I am looking at $914 plus shipping plus installation.

Last week I got motivated when MACs sent out an email saying they were having a sale and 15% off for orders $300 and over.

I emailed them to confirm and was told it was good until midnight tonight (9/10). Great!

Got online and found the prices had changed. Now $585 and $423. Hmmmmm

Put them in the basket and applied the coupon code. My total dropped to . . . $938.

In other words they seem to have increased the price since the Fall catalogue (but it ain't even Fall yet! ) and then offered a sale that simply got things back where they were.

Maybe this is as good as I can do.

Anyone got any better experiences??

(I don't need front foam . . . did that about 8 years ago)

John

Infinite Monkeys 09-11-2017 12:39 AM

I get those coupon code deals weekly by email. Basically, every time I buy something. I just got mine, so I'm buying a lot of parts.

I would just call them and ask about the "deal" and ask about the price increase.

YellowRose 09-11-2017 12:46 AM

John, take a look at the Bird Nest prices. Vinyl red & white front and rear seat upholstery sells for $499.95 there. Part #SCS-589-RED/WHT. The rear bottom and back seat foam sells for $350. Part #STFMR580-REAR. You might also want to check with Tbird Hqs and other parts houses to see if they can beat those prices. Also, you might want to check with a local shop that specializes in doing classic car interiors. They might be able to beat those prices.

JohnG 09-11-2017 05:48 AM

Thanks!

Do Squarebird members get a discount from any vendors?

YellowRose 09-11-2017 07:44 AM

Depending on the amount of the order some of our vendors do give a discount. You will have to ask them. Rock Auto is the main one who gives us a discount of 5% on any online order, but I do not think they stock foams and seat covers for these old Tbirds of ours. Their discount code is found in the Advertisements Forum and it changes every few months.

jopizz 09-11-2017 10:46 AM

As Ray mentioned I would ask your local upholstery shop about the rear foam. They can probably make it for less than $350.

John

YellowRose 09-11-2017 11:02 AM

Keep in mind that, for the most part, which ever Tbird parts house you place your order with that most of the Tbird parts available today are manufactured by just TWO companies... I was told by both Tbird Hqs and the Bird Nest that they manufacture and supply to the others 80% of the parts. So if you order from Mac's for example, or anyone else, and they are out of that part, they have to turn around and order it from either Tbird Hqs, or the Bird Nest... Whichever one manufacturers that part....

JohnG 09-11-2017 11:30 AM

John and Ray, good information - thanks!

I have a 2016 MACs catalogue which shows the seat cover set I need as $469. Then the 2017 Fall catalogue at $505. Now the online price of $585, a 25% increase over 2016!

So something is going on there and I need to look closer to the source, as Ray suggested.

I had not thought about the foam being done locally so that helps. The auto upholstery guy is only 2 miles down the road.

YellowRose 09-11-2017 12:35 PM

John, and others reading this... When it came time to replace my crumbling foam cushions under the front and back seats, I ordered them from one of the suppliers. After receiving them and taking them to my guy who did my interior (a fantastic interior guy who does a lot of classic cars) he asked me how much I paid for them... I told him and he told me that I should have asked him how much he would have charged me to make them, which he does all the time... What he said he would have charged me was a lot less then what I paid for them... On top of that, he had to re-work the rear seat foam because it was not fitting correctly as it was manufactured. That cost him time and effort, but in the end, I think I have fantastic looking seats in Rose... I have since heard others on here say, either in print or privately, that they also had problems installing these seat foams and had to mold them to make them fit correctly..... So John, now you know what it is going to cost you for new foams from one of our parts houses... Ask the guy down the road how much he would charge you. You might get a nice surprise.....

simplyconnected 09-11-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowRose (Post 110867)
...On top of that, he had to re-work the rear seat foam because it was not fitting correctly as it was manufactured. That cost him time and effort, but in the end, I think I have fantastic looking seats in Rose... I have since heard others on here say, either in print or privately, that they also had problems installing these seat foams and had to mold them to make them fit correctly...

Here's how it goes... Trim work is always 'custom fit' because seat covers are not exactly consistent from one to the next. It's 'sewing', and none of this can be done in a jig so it's all done free-hand.

Remember Jed Zimmerman's foams? He glued different densities of foam together then cut the shape out with a knife and a sander. None of them were molded.

Putting this all together... The installer MUST make the seat look pleasing to the eye by either paring the foam down if it is too big for the cover OR adding 'fill foam' in areas where the seat cover is baggy. Trim shops know this as standard fare and the installation cost includes this.

Foam comes in many grades, different densities and different costs depending on the amount of rubber content. Seat bottoms need a higher density than the seat backs. THAT is what made Jed's foams better than the molded offerings because molding can only be of one type of foam. Bottom line here is cost vs quality. More rubber in foam lasts MUCH longer than low-cost foam.

I did two Amphicar interiors in marine vinyl and constructed my foams with Jed's guidance before he passed. I stripped the seats to the frames, repaired worn and broken metal, etc., then sewed the pleated and piped covers. Believe me, the result is stunning, far better than stock and will last much longer BUT the foam cost more. The feel when sitting on the new seats makes all the difference. That's where the quality shines through.

I would certainly go to a local trim shop and sit down with the guy. Let him know you want high quality foam, then let him make it. Gluing and cutting foam is not hard work but it does take an extra hour. Covering the foam should cost the same. - Dave