Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Power steering system leaking (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21908)

Infinite Monkeys 09-01-2017 10:54 PM

Power steering system leaking

Sitting for 20 years has taken it's tole on many of the seals.

Right now I have a huge steering fluid leak. Looks like it's coming from the end of the ram and the control valve.

The control valve appears to be "new". Looks like it was replaced shortly before the car was parked.
The steering system is working properly, just leaking a lot.

I'm going to rebuild the ram and the control valve. Seems this site has everything I'll need.

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/stee...d-related.html

The question is, what should I expect when I take the control valve and the ram apart.
I think the ram should be straight forward, I'm concerned about taking the control valve apart.

Any thoughts on these procedures is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

jopizz 09-01-2017 11:13 PM

I've had poor results lately rebuilding the control valve. The new seals don't seem to be up to the standard of the originals. On the last one I had I tried twice before I wound up sending it away to be rebuilt. If you want to give it a try just follow the instructions in the shop manual. As for the ram you shouldn't have any issues. Getting all the old parts out is the hardest part.

John

Infinite Monkeys 09-01-2017 11:19 PM

There's a place called steer and gear that does the valve rebuilding for Mac's. I talked to them a while ago, they seemed really helpful and knowledgeable.

Think I'll get the valve rebuild kit from them. Then hopefully I'll get a quality kit.

Anything tricky about the valve rebuild?
Thanks.

jopizz 09-01-2017 11:52 PM

There's nothing tricky about it. Just make sure the cylinder and spool valve are in good condition and not scored.

John

Infinite Monkeys 09-02-2017 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopizz (Post 110635)
There's nothing tricky about it. Just make sure the cylinder and spool valve are in good condition and not scored.

John

I think the insides of the valve at least should be good. The valve appears to be basically new. The cylinder looks to be well worn. I'll see when I open them up.

Thanks again.

Tbird1044 09-02-2017 12:17 AM

I'd be willing to bet, that back in the day, if you took your new TBird back to the dealer for warranty work, and told them the P/S was leaking, they would probably say that's normal. ;-)
Nyles

Infinite Monkeys 09-02-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbird1044 (Post 110640)
I'd be willing to bet, that back in the day, if you took your new TBird back to the dealer for warranty work, and told them the P/S was leaking, they would probably say that's normal. ;-)
Nyles

Don't know if this is a common issue here. Mine is now almost spraying out fluid. It didn't have a leak a few weeks ago when I first started it.
It'd be nice to drive it more than a few miles at a time and then not have to park it for a week or two to fix something.
Soon!!

Deanj 09-02-2017 11:19 AM

I recall servicing the control valve as an easier task than a remove and install procedure. The guts can come out while on the car (take photos of the order of the parts). Pulling the pitman arm is a bugger, and so go the obvious route first.

Dean

jopizz 09-02-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanj (Post 110652)
I recall servicing the control valve as an easier task than a remove and install procedure. The guts can come out while on the car (take photos of the order of the parts). Pulling the pitman arm is a bugger, and so go the obvious route first.

Dean

Dean is correct. You can remove the spool part from the rest of the valve and put in new seals without removing the entire control valve from the pitman arm.

John

Infinite Monkeys 09-02-2017 02:28 PM

I just logged on to ask for help in pulling the pitman arm. Yeah, it ain't coming off. I was about to use a torch, but thought I'd ask first.

Should I start the disassembly of the valve from the front, or back, or just start taking it apart and it'll be obvious as I go?

Thanks.