Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1964 To 1966 Flairbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   strange occurance (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21907)

tbirdmike63 09-01-2017 07:57 PM

strange occurance

Hey everyone, took the tbird for a pretty long drive today, she was driving great, came home parked the car for about 20 minutes or so, when I took her back out I reversed out the the drive way into the street, dropped it into drive and it seemed different, like is was not fully in drive, as I drove her she started to stumble, like she was going to stall, I was giving her gas and the motor shook, she stalled, i popped the hood checked all my wires to make sure they were all connected, they were, let it sit for a few minutes, got her started again, idled like crap, engine shaking, like it wasn't getting any gas, started to drive back home, I was only a few blocks away, then she started running great, like nothing was ever wrong, got home in the garage, revved her a few times, great no problems, shut her off, a few seconds later started her up again, rough idle, engine shaking.
I disconnected the fuel line to the carburetor to check to see if the fuel pump was working, it was, checked the fuel filter, looked ok, just replaced it a month ago, but the gas was real red with sediment in it, the gas tank probably needs to be cleaned out., the carburetor is brand new, cleaned the plugs, wires look pretty new, i'm at a loss, any idea's what could cause this, now i'm afraid to take her out just in case this happens again. thanks everyone!

simplyconnected 09-01-2017 08:06 PM

That has happened to me when fire was present inside the intake manifold. It's not a big thing. With a little speed, the fire goes out and it's all back to normal.

Why fire? Sometimes the un-burned gas exiting the exhaust will ignite the intake when scavenging occurs. This is not a backfire.

Why does it go out? In normal operation, intake vacuum starves the mixture for air. The mixture becomes too rich, causing the engine to run rough.

jopizz 09-01-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdmike63 (Post 110627)
but the gas was real red with sediment in it

I think you answered your own question. Gas isn't meant to be red, it's supposed to be clear. You can clean the tank out but it'll just happen again. If it's the original tank replace it or you'll eventually clog your carburetor so much it won't run at all. Your fuel filter is meant to take out very small particles, not gas mixed with varnish and rust.

John

tbirdmike63 09-01-2017 11:48 PM

I'm going to order a new tank, there not as expensive as I thought, does everything I need come with a new tank, the straps etc., what else do I need to install the tank. thanks!

jopizz 09-02-2017 12:03 AM

I suggest you order it from Rockauto. They have the best prices and we get a 5% discount. It doesn't come with the straps but they're not that expensive. If yours are in good condition then just reuse them. If you are going to reuse your old sender make sure you clean it good with some carburetor cleaner before you reinstall it. The new tank should come with a new gasket. Sometimes the fill tube is hard to get out. After you remove the bolts it pulls out. You might want to spray some WD-40 or similar to help it along.

John

tbirdmike63 09-02-2017 12:06 AM

Will I be able to do this just by jacking up the car, should I jack up one side, then put a jack stand, then do the same for the other side? Once jacked up will I be able to get the tank out from under the car?

jopizz 09-02-2017 12:10 AM

You will need to jack the car up to get it out. I suggest you do both sides. You need to remove the fill tube before it will come out. If you open the gas flap you will see the bolts that hold it in.

John

tbirdmike63 09-02-2017 12:19 AM

I heard there is a insulating mat that goes on the top of the tank, is this necessary, also there is pressure sensitive black tape that goes under the mounting straps, is that necessary? Thanks!

tbirdmike63 09-02-2017 12:24 AM

Oh yeah, how do I receive the 5% discount, for being a forum member?

jopizz 09-02-2017 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdmike63 (Post 110641)
I heard there is a insulating mat that goes on the top of the tank, is this necessary, also there is pressure sensitive black tape that goes under the mounting straps, is that necessary? Thanks!

Reuse the mat if it comes down. Sometimes it's stuck to the underside of the car. Most likely the tape will not be reusable. I usually cut a couple of pieces of duct tape and use that between the straps and the tank.

John