Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Shorty Headers on flea bay (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21820)

Penelope 08-01-2017 12:06 AM

Shorty Headers on flea bay
 
Has anyone bought a set of these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Big-...dvc2#vi-ilComp

I am curious to know if they fit as its **** tight especially around the steering box. I know the welding looks amateurish but I can fix that.

Tbird6 08-01-2017 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hard to say but they look like they tried to have them fit as many cars as possible so probably not great for any one model.

I do see Square bird headers and they do look a good bit different?



But they are more expensive too. About $529-$369.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...el/thunderbird
.
.
.

Penelope 08-01-2017 08:12 PM

Thank you for your thoughts, and yes I agree with you regarding trying to fit as many cars as possible is not a good sign, but I guess Ford also would have used similar parts / set ups in a lot of their vehicles as well? Its not a ridiculous amount of money to pay, so I may get a set to see.

RustyNCa 08-02-2017 03:30 PM

Interesting that Summit shows the Sanderson's fit the squarebirds, when I talked with Sanderson directly they told me, no they don't fit 58 to 60 thunderbirds and their web site now doesn't show an application for our squarebirds. They have the y block and they skip to the 61 Tbird.

They did say, if I brought my bird into them, they would be happy to make me a custom set. It's a 4 hour haul, but I saw no reason to pay for a custom set for the car.

Cheers
RustyNCA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbird6 (Post 109996)
Hard to say but they look like they tried to have them fit as many cars as possible so probably not great for any one model.

I do see Square bird headers and they do look a good bit different?



But they are more expensive too. About $529-$369.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...el/thunderbird
.
.
.


RustyNCa 08-02-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penelope (Post 109985)
Has anyone bought a set of these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Big-...dvc2#vi-ilComp

I am curious to know if they fit as its **** tight especially around the steering box. I know the welding looks amateurish but I can fix that.

Interesting that they come out of Rocklin, that's a couple hours from me. I'd be interested to hear how they work, I'd like to run some in my 58, but I haven't been willing to drop the expense of the FPAs.

Penelope 08-02-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyNCa (Post 110023)
Interesting that they come out of Rocklin, that's a couple hours from me. I'd be interested to hear how they work, I'd like to run some in my 58, but I haven't been willing to drop the expense of the FPAs.

I ordered a set yesterday and if they fit I will get another set for my '59 as well. I will also fit 3 inch pipes from the collectors back otherwise its a little pointless...

I will let you know how I get on.

RustyNCa 08-03-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penelope (Post 110028)
I ordered a set yesterday and if they fit I will get another set for my '59 as well. I will also fit 3 inch pipes from the collectors back otherwise its a little pointless...

I will let you know how I get on.

What do you have now for pipes? I've read there isn't much point in 3" over the 2.5" for most engines?

Penelope 08-03-2017 09:16 PM

All standard pipes at the moment, but I will definitely talk to the experts when I fit the headers and do what will match the best. I envisage replacing the large mufflers at the rear.

OX1 08-04-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyNCa (Post 110044)
What do you have now for pipes? I've read there isn't much point in 3" over the 2.5" for most engines?

Full 3" seems like it would be a packaging nightmare compared to the gain, which will be almost nothing south of 500 HP.

Penelope 08-10-2017 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The kit has arrived down under, and at first glance it appears OK. I will check rough bends tonight and look at fitting over the weekend. They do supply all gaskets and both sides of collectors as well which is nice.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.