Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1961 To 1963 Bulletbirds, Rocketbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Lowering The Rocket (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21589)

gas62tbird 05-18-2017 11:34 AM

Lowering The Rocket

Hi, I want to lower the front end of my '62 is it feasible to cut one coil off the front springs to do so as it is on GM cars. If anyone has done this it would be great to hear from you.
Thanks
Gas

Ickaber 05-18-2017 12:10 PM

I've been wanting to do the same to my '63. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but here's the info I'll rely on when I do.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/c...-coil-springs/

Quote:

The only coil springs that can be safely cut are coil springs with tangential ends.
The problem is, with the springs still in the car I can't tell for sure which type of ends they have, and I can't tell from the pics in the manual. I'm sure John or Dave will be along soon to let us know.

Be sure to take some measurements and before and after pics if/when you do it. Good luck!

RustyNCa 05-18-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gas62tbird (Post 108414)
Hi, I want to lower the front end of my '62 is it feasible to cut one coil off the front springs to do so as it is on GM cars. If anyone has done this it would be great to hear from you.
Thanks
Gas

Not sure on a 61, but that's how I lowered the front on both my 58 and 65 with no ill effects to either car. I actually ended up cutting more than one coil, since that didn't drop them enough for me.

Cheers

simplyconnected 05-18-2017 12:18 PM

The ends are easy to prove. Look at the bottom of your lower 'A' arm. Squarebird springs have an open 'end' which nests in a pocket. They only go in one way. The tops are flat, for that rubber piece.

So, look. Surrounding the shock, is the spring perch. If it is totally flat, so is the spring. If it is formed to the coil end you will know immediately. - Dave

Yadkin 05-18-2017 12:58 PM

I've had as many as three coils cut from the front of mine and I recommend not cutting any more than one. One give a mild rake and does not adversely affect ride quality.

The front springs on these are a bear and will destroy many spring compressors and possibly kill you while they are at it. Buy an OTC 7045B coil spring compressor, or similar.

Ickaber 05-18-2017 01:05 PM

Here is the underneath view of my mount. It looks formed to a tangential end to me.

Additionally, I found this in the manual, which seems to confirm that the bottom end is tangential and can therefore be cut.

gas62tbird 05-18-2017 10:29 PM

lowering

Thanks to all, very informative replies. Will let you know how it turns out.

Gas

gas62tbird 06-13-2017 03:06 PM

Removing front coils

Hi finally starting to remove front coils of my 62 to cut one coil to lower it but noticing when it's on the hoist that the top A arm bottoms out on the frame and even if I disconnect the sway bar and upper ball joint the top A arm won't go any further. Am I missing something here? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Gas

Yadkin 06-14-2017 09:19 AM

The A arm stays on the car. You have to have a very good internal spring compressor to squeeze the spring enough so that it can be removed. What type compressor do you have?

gas62tbird 06-15-2017 02:20 PM

spring removal

Hi, I had a friend come over today with his spring compressor but it's the claw type and can hardly fit through the top shock opening, too difficult to work with. He suggested making one with 1/2" threaded bar and a couple of plates.