Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1961 To 1963 Bulletbirds, Rocketbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   62 T Bird won't stop running (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21389)

RetiredBMC 03-12-2017 07:51 PM

62 T Bird won't stop running

Greetings Thunderbirders....I'm restoring a 62 T Bird hardtop and I ran into an issue that is kicking my butt!! So far I have replaced the ignition switch, ignition coil, voltage regulator and the solenoid and generator are only about a month or two old. The car was running perfect until I changed out the old battery cables because they were all beat up. Went to start the car......perfect....went to turn the key to off and pulled the key out of the ignition and the car continues to run. I was able to get the car turned off by blocking off the air intake. I'm at a lost here.....anyone ever have an issue like this before?

Thanks in advance.

jopizz 03-12-2017 08:35 PM

For your car to turn off your ignition switch needs to shut off power to the coil. The battery cables should have nothing to do with it. Check the + terminal at the coil with the key off. You should have no voltage. Turn the key to on and it should have between 6 and 9 volts. If you have power with the key off then your switch is bad. Did you change out the ignition switch before or after the problem started.

John

RetiredBMC 03-12-2017 10:26 PM

I changed out the ignition switch after I discovered the problem....that was the first thing I tried.....so far, I'm striking out...lol

jopizz 03-12-2017 11:08 PM

Rather than replace parts you need to follow the basics of troubleshooting ignition systems. All replacing parts does is add unknowns to the problem. The ignition system in your car is very basic. It involves power from the battery to the ignition switch to the coil. It's either off or on. You need to use either a test light or voltmeter to diagnose the problem. The wiring diagrams are available in the Technical Resource Library. They are very easy to follow. Does this happen every time you start the car or is it sporadic. One suggestion I can make is when it happens remove the small brown wire that is on the front of the solenoid. If the engine shuts off then you have power going through the solenoid when it shouldn't be. If the car continues to run then you will have to look further down the line.

John

simplyconnected 03-12-2017 11:55 PM

I'm totally with John on this. You end up with a basket full of good parts you cannot return when throwing parts at a problem.

John, is it possible his firewall plug is shorted? That is a notorious place where corrosion opens and shorts pins. Maybe you can assist from here. - Dave

jopizz 03-13-2017 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyconnected (Post 107092)
John, is it possible his firewall plug is shorted? That is a notorious place where corrosion opens and shorts pins. Maybe you can assist from here. - Dave

That's certainly a possibility. It strikes me as odd that he says it started when he replaced the battery cables. Maybe he caused some voltage spike that fried the connector. That should be easy enough to pull apart and check.

John

RetiredBMC 03-13-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopizz (Post 107094)
That's certainly a possibility. It strikes me as odd that he says it started when he replaced the battery cables. Maybe he caused some voltage spike that fried the connector. That should be easy enough to pull apart and check.

John

You'll have to forgive my ignorance......but where would that connector be located at?

RetiredBMC 03-13-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyconnected (Post 107092)
I'm totally with John on this. You end up with a basket full of good parts you cannot return when throwing parts at a problem.

Very true....unfortunately my pride won't let me ask for help until I've tried everything I think I know....lol.

Yadkin 03-13-2017 10:06 AM

Don't sweat it- we've all been there.

jopizz 03-13-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetiredBMC (Post 107095)
You'll have to forgive my ignorance......but where would that connector be located at?

Look on the driver side firewall below the master cylinder.

John