Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Quality of "automatic trans" brake pad (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21383)

OX1 03-10-2017 05:54 PM

Quality of "automatic trans" brake pad
 
Anyone used the reproduction brake pad?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Thunder...NYNiXm&vxp=mtr

Or should I spring for the NOS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-50s-60s-...RYNIwb&vxp=mtr

jopizz 03-10-2017 08:18 PM

I suggest you PM or email Carl Heller (partsetal). He probably knows more about the quality of the reproduction squarebird parts than anyone.

John

simplyconnected 03-10-2017 08:28 PM

These pedal covers are made by one company and sold through many vendors. Notice, your listing is coming from Lockport, NY. Lo and behold, isn't that Mac's Auto Parts and at exactly the same price?

My pedal shows, "Swift Sure" but who ever looks at the brake pedal? - Dave

OX1 03-10-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyconnected (Post 107042)
These pedal covers are made by one company and sold through many vendors. Notice, your listing is coming from Lockport, NY. Lo and behold, isn't that Mac's Auto Parts and at exactly the same price?

My pedal shows, "Swift Sure" but who ever looks at the brake pedal? - Dave

Yeah, that is Macs. Not worried about looks, just quality.
And to answer your question, I've looked at my brake pedal/pad 400 times over the past week :D (hope I don't ever have to look at it again).

It's just bit worn, so I figured for $15, why not. But if the 50 year old worn one is better than anew repro (and sometimes these parts are), I'll stick pat...........

Will call tomorrow if you are around...........

simplyconnected 03-10-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OX1 (Post 107043)
...And to answer your question, I've looked at my brake pedal/pad 400 times over the past week :D

Will call tomorrow if you are around...........

Henry, your face was right on that pedal, putting your backing plates on the brake pedal support.

You'd be surprised how many folks cannot tell you what their door panels look like in their daily driver! Yeah, yeah... I know, these are our babies and they carry pieces of ourselves in every part of the restoration scheme.

Anyway, Mac's didn't make the pedals. They're probably made in India or Taiwan (like most repop parts). Regardless, I'm sure they will hold up for a good ten years or longer, depending on how much you drive your classic.

I will be around tomorrow but I thought you need to get going on your plumbing. There are other brake issues we need to discuss as well. If you're so inclined, we can get a jump on things right now. - Dave

partsetal 03-11-2017 09:01 AM

The repro power brake pedal pads had been unavailable recently so it is good to see they are available again. No doubt they are manufactured in India, Malaysia or some other off-shore country, typical of most of the repro parts today. If it fits correctly it looks like a good deal.
Carl

Deanj 03-11-2017 10:41 AM

I removed my original brake peddle pad because it was very, very worn and slippery. I used the "Power Brakes" pad from Mac's. It's alright. You might be prepared for the old one to refuse dethroning. Start with several handy scrapers and any other tricks for removing rubber that has become one with the peddle.

Dean

OX1 03-11-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanj (Post 107052)
I removed my original brake peddle pad because it was very, very worn and slippery. I used the "Power Brakes" pad from Mac's. It's alright. You might be prepared for the old one to refuse dethroning. Start with several handy scrapers and any other tricks for removing rubber that has become one with the peddle.

Dean

That makes me not want touch it at all. Mine
is worn just a bit on the right edge, but really
not that bad.

jopizz 03-11-2017 09:44 PM

I've replaced a number of pedals and never had a problem. Just remove the nut and bolt and pry it off. It's only a metal to metal connection. I'm not sure what Dean is describing.

John

OX1 03-12-2017 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopizz (Post 107065)
I've replaced a number of pedals and never had a problem. Just remove the nut and bolt and pry it off. It's only a metal to metal connection. I'm not sure what Dean is describing.

John

Does the MAC one only come with the pad maybe?

Also, anyone know if B9A-2454-B is the correct part no for the NOS one?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.