Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Edelbrock 1405 secundary adjustment (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21339)

Frango100 02-27-2017 01:24 PM

Edelbrock 1405 secundary adjustment
 
I bought a repair kit for the Edelbrock 1405 on my Bird. Put the new parts/seals in there, and at the end they tell to check the secundary throttle valve adjustment. The secundaries should start to open when the primary is 13/32" open (10 mm). The secundaries already started to open at 6/32", so made the adjustment to the input rod. Now when i put the accelerator to the floor, the secundaries wont open even a bit. I have a non standard (but old looking) and partly home made accelerator mechanism, which most probably is the problem. I related some time ago already a too high pedal force needed.
Does someone has a picture(s) of the complete accelerator mechanism, to see which part(s) im missing? I will see if Carl has the missing parts.

DKheld 02-27-2017 03:35 PM

This is a 352 with a Holley 80457 / 4160 carb and original linkage.

Hope it helps.

Eric




Frango100 02-27-2017 03:51 PM

Thanks for the pictures Eric. Is there just a solid rod going down to the pedal, or did i see somewhere a type of a quadrant half way down?

scumdog 02-27-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 106807)
I bought a repair kit for the Edelbrock 1405 on my Bird. Put the new parts/seals in there, and at the end they tell to check the secundary throttle valve adjustment. The secundaries should start to open when the primary is 13/32" open (10 mm). The secundaries already started to open at 6/32", so made the adjustment to the input rod. Now when i put the accelerator to the floor, the secundaries wont open even a bit. I have a non standard (but old looking) and partly home made accelerator mechanism, which most probably is the problem. I related some time ago already a too high pedal force needed.
Does someone has a picture(s) of the complete accelerator mechanism, to see which part(s) im missing? I will see if Carl has the missing parts.

.

If it's anything like a vacuum secondary Holley the secondary won't open just by cranking on the throttle if the motor is not running AND under load.

sidewalkman 02-27-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 106821)
Thanks for the pictures Eric. Is there just a solid rod going down to the pedal, or did i see somewhere a type of a quadrant half way down?

There are 3 adjustments, throttle rod, pedal linkage and transmission linkage.

Frango100 02-27-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scumdog (Post 106822)
.

If it's anything like a vacuum secondary Holley the secondary won't open just by cranking on the throttle if the motor is not running AND under load.

The secondaries on the edelbrock 1405 are mechanically connected to the primaries. Above the secondaries throttle blades there are air valves, which only open when there is air flow. But the secondaries should open normally and the linkage can be seen from the outside.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.