Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   roof rail weather strip (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21226)

zinnia8 01-15-2017 12:02 PM

roof rail weather strip

2 Attachment(s)
Hello All,
how in heck to you make this fit? A little history on the this car, bought it around 2 yrs ago it came with lots of new parts. Trying to put it back together but I don't think this roof rail strip will fit or is there a secret way of making it work. Maybe it doesn't even belong to this car.

YellowRose 01-15-2017 12:39 PM

roof rail weather strip

Cathy, it is possible that is the wrong stripping. Hopefully, someone like John ~ jopizz will be along shortly and see if he can help you. John knows more about these old Tbirds of ours than the average person does. He is a great guy to get to know! If you have not done so yet, check out the Advertisements Forum where all the major Tbird parts houses are listed. If that is the wrong stripping, one of them will have the right one for that area.

jopizz 01-15-2017 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cathy,

Here's the parts diagram that shows how it's mounted. As for whether it's the correct one it should have a part number stamped on it somewhere.

John

YellowRose 01-15-2017 01:49 PM

roof rail weather strip

I see that John has replied to your post. It is possible that you have the wrong stripping. See if you can find a part number on it that matches that in the graphic that John posted. Or see if it has a 580RRWS Part # on it anywhere, which would mean that it came from The Bird Nest and IS for a 1958-1960 Squarebird. Here is a link to that. If you click on the Info/Specs pdf link you will see that it shows the same graphic that John posted.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyn...030b&ukey=1182

zinnia8 01-15-2017 03:03 PM

I have look for a number but can't find anything. They look like the ones listed on Larry's. They seem like they are either to long or the metal spline is curved in the wrong place. and if I try to bend it to make it fit then rubber gets messed up.

jopizz 01-15-2017 04:38 PM

My thought is that it's for a different year Thunderbird. If it's not bent in the correct place then it won't look right if you try and bend it as you found out. You most likely will have to order new ones.

John

zinnia8 01-15-2017 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jopizz (Post 106024)
My thought is that it's for a different year Thunderbird. If it's not bent in the correct place then it won't look right if you try and bend it as you found out. You most likely will have to order new ones.

John

That is what I was not hoping for but I think that will be the best option. When it is right in the front it is to long at the rear quarter window

zinnia8 03-11-2017 03:24 PM

ended up buying new weatherstrip. the ones we had were wrong. windows are in doors are on tail lights are in and wiring has begun.

Deanj 03-11-2017 05:37 PM

John, I have considered replacing mine for some time. Dumb question: Is this as straight forward as it seems? Unscrew the old and in with the new? I seem to see some excess weather strip adhesive in the rail before someone somewhere screwed mine on.

Dean

jopizz 03-11-2017 07:25 PM

The factory did use weatherstrip adhesive or sealer as they call it. I would remove as much of the old as you can and use new 3M black weatherstrip adhesive.

John