Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1961 To 1963 Bulletbirds, Rocketbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Gas leak (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20959)

Terry Gorman 10-04-2016 08:36 PM

Gas leak
Hi Everyone,

Another question. I just filled up and gas is leaking out of what I guess is an overflow tube. This only happened once before. It does not happen regularly after a fill up. Any thoughts?

simplyconnected 10-05-2016 01:43 AM

Overflow??? You mean the vent? OMG, Ford never designed a car to dump excessive gasoline. The vent tube (if your car has one like my Galaxie) raises high inside the trunk then exits outside, next to the filler neck. They use the height of the trunk as a 'trap' so air can equalize pressure in the tank but liquid stays down.

Terry Gorman 10-05-2016 05:31 AM


Thanks for responding! Yes, it would be the vent. Would you know what causes gas to exit thru the vent, down the bumper and eventually on the ground/

simplyconnected 10-05-2016 09:01 AM

Something is terribly wrong because a condition like that in a new car would have initiated a major recall. You must have a broken connection or a tube that has rusted through.

Carefully follow the tube and use all your senses as you go. Move it around. Use a flashlight.

Is there a strong odor in your trunk? Is this happening on hot days? C'mon, give more detail because all I know is what you report, which is; this is the second time the vent tube is leaking after a fill-up. - Dave

Terry Gorman 10-05-2016 08:27 PM


It's a rubber tube abot 3/8 " diameter. No smell in the trunk. Yes the days were warm but nothing above 80.

jopizz 10-05-2016 08:37 PM

Even though you have a vent tube make sure your gas cap is also vented.


Terry Gorman 10-06-2016 06:26 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for your advice. I sent an email to Stant. They have several types. It looks like the most popular has a red lever on it.Part #10331. Do you think I should get that or just a regular vented gas cap?


simplyconnected 10-06-2016 08:35 AM


Originally Posted by Terry Gorman (Post 104098)

It's a rubber tube abot 3/8 " diameter. No smell in the trunk. Yes the days were warm but nothing above 80.

Your fuel tank vent should be small-diameter steel tubing (like 3/16" or 1/4") not a rubber hose. The only rubber used would be at the connections with clamps.

For the fuel tank cap, Rockauto.com sells STANT 10646 caps for under five bucks. - Dave

jopizz 10-06-2016 10:10 AM

There's a rubber hose that connects to the vent fitting and sits in a groove on top of the tank so it's not crushed between the tank and trunk floor.


Terry Gorman 10-06-2016 10:18 AM

Thanks John and Dave!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.