Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1964 To 1966 Flairbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Convertible Top Test Wires (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20427)

arizonajack 04-25-2016 01:18 PM

I have to admit that I'm not getting a mental picture of what you guys are using.

Maybe you can post a picture.

I recall that, when I had my Skyliner, I taped a wire end to a screwdriver and clamped the other end on the battery and was able to poke the relays to operate each top function separately.

If we are talking about something like that, I'm not clear where the light comes in.

I'm good with house wiring but a little challenged when it comes to car wiring. :D

simplyconnected 04-25-2016 03:49 PM

Ok, and if you touched your screwdriver to ground it would melt.

Now, let's give it a big safety net. All this is in series:
Clamp an alligator clip to the plus terminal of your battery. On that clip is a #14 wire about six feet long or so. On the end of that wire I crimp a stab terminal that fits on a sealed beam (let's say it's an upper beam because they have only two terminals). The other sealed beam terminal has the second crimp terminal on a very long wire.

Let's say I put the sealed beam on my dash so the light is visible from all around the car.

If the end wire touches ground the sealed beam will shine, causing zero damage. Now touch that end wire to your relay coil. The coil will energize before the light shines brightly because the lamp has a lower resistance than the relay coil. You may see a momentary light from the inrush current a coil demands. The point is, you can actually see the amount of current by the intensity of a light bulb.

Now, I have a circuit that keeps popping fuses. I leave the fuse blown, but I put my end wire on the 'bad' circuit causing the light shines brightly. Again, no harm. I start pulling bullet connectors until the light goes out, then follow that circuit to the end as I watch the light.

If you made another 'test light' using a dash light (#57 bulb), that tiny bulb resistance is high and it won't pass enough current to turn on a relay coil. <--This type of test light is commonly used to simply detect the presence of 12 volts when the alligator clip is connected to chassis/ground.

Does that explain it better? - Dave

arizonajack 04-25-2016 04:34 PM

Yes, makes sense to me now.

Thanks.