Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Battery recommendations? (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20185)

simplyconnected 03-08-2016 07:11 PM

The reviews say this battery is made by Johnson Controls.

The sticker on the battery says, 3-yr replacement and 2-year pro-rated. All the reviews are good and they say it lasts more than six years.

DKheld 03-08-2016 10:06 PM

Sheesh - my Motorcraft battery - although it has lasted fine - only has 420ish CCA.:o

simplyconnected 03-09-2016 02:34 AM

Eric...
You're in North Carolina, where people are freezing in sixty degree temperatures.

Trust me, it gets cold up here and it stays cold for at least a month or two longer than North Carolina.

Have you ever seen a battery freeze and crack? I have. Ford put 'cozies' around Mustang batteries going to northern states, at the factory.

JamesBorisPerez 03-09-2016 01:08 PM

Battery Recommendations

I researched this quite a bit when I wanted to replace my battery and found a direct fit from Napa parts, it commercial grade, cost about $112, fits perfectly and has worked great for the past year. I'm running an electric radiator fan and about a 300 watts worth of amps.

Yadkin 03-09-2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyconnected (Post 99099)
Eric...
You're in North Carolina, where people are freezing in sixty degree temperatures.

Trust me, it gets cold up here and it stays cold for at least a month or two longer than North Carolina.

Have you ever seen a battery freeze and crack? I have. Ford put 'cozies' around Mustang batteries going to northern states, at the factory.

So that's what those are for.

"Where winter stays 9 months per year,
there is no spring or fall.
And it's so cold the mercury
cannot be seen at all..."

Prairie Home Companion

DKheld 03-09-2016 09:44 PM

Depends on what part of the old Tar heel state.

Believe it or not my new truck came with a battery blanket! and unfortunately the factory battery in my wife's '08 Escape cracked last winter - no 2 years ago. What a mess. Too cold to wash it out very well so just put a load of baking soda in the tray until I could clean it out properly the following spring.

According to weather data base....

Royal Oak Mi.
Avg temp - 52.7
Avg winter temp - 38.7
Avg spring temp - 45.3
(record low -22)

NC where I am at 2200 ft above sea level
Avg temp - 55.3
Avg winter temp - 43.5
Avg spring temp - 51.2
(record low -16)

But I know what you're sayin' :rolleyes:

Unless we experience the old pockey-clipse and the Tbird is the only running car - I won't have it out much in the winter weather anyway (but I have been know to drive it when it's cold and snowing just for fun)

You're just jealous :D

Yadkin 03-10-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKheld (Post 99132)
NC where I am at 2200 ft above sea level

You must be in a very tall building in Charlotte then...

simplyconnected 03-10-2016 04:49 PM

Mount Mitchell is over 6,000 feet, Eric might be in one of those foot hills.

Asheville and Boone are more my style of climate. Raleigh is too hot in summer because my melting point is 90F.

We wear out snow blowers in Michigan. Some times we run out of places to put snow. When the city snow plow comes down the street, everyone's driveway has a huge berm of snow on their driveway apron. What makes it bad is, by the time they get to the side streets two days have past, then it's huge chunks of ice instead of snow. I remember one year it was -20F for over a MONTH. It was too cold to snow. That kind of cold is bone-dry, enough to freeze your lungs if working outside but life still goes on. Our summer and falls are gorgeous but short.

Your snow is gone by noon. - Dave

Yadkin 03-10-2016 10:31 PM

I feel your pain, Dave, having been a resident of Onondaga County, NY for 11 years. Ten below for 6 weeks, not as cold as Michigan. But we sure got our share of snow. Seven of the winters I spent there were record snowfalls. '93 we approached 200.

I lived in a little Town called Pompey for 7 of those years. It was a lot higher in elevation than Syracuse and drifting snow was a real challenge. After cutting a "trench" through a 2' snowfall to get close to the surface of my gravel driveway, drifting would continue for one or two days, filling it back in within 45 minutes.

I think I already told the story of how I wore out the engine in one snowblower, a 10HP track drive behemoth.

Wudro 03-10-2016 11:22 PM

West Coast Fellas, West Coast.