Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Changing Door Handles - advice? (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18347)

JohnG 01-27-2015 10:10 AM

Changing Door Handles - advice?

hi!
I am hoping to replace my outer door handles this winter with some new ones from Dennis Carpenter, purely for visual purposes.

I have little experience working in the door and basically want to know if there are any significant obstacles or issues involved in changing them.

I can remove the window crank handle (have the tool for that) and the inner panel. I have worked on the outer door trim from the lower inside. That's about the extent of my experience.

Can I, for example, even get to the handles with the windows in place? If so, how are the handles held on?

Any advice or experiences appreciated!

By the way, I do not have power windows.

thanks!
John

Dakota Boy 01-27-2015 10:35 AM

Remove the door panel and take a peek inside.

They are pretty easy to work with, but the interior door panel must be removed. Roll the window up. I believe the screws are phillips-head.

jopizz 01-27-2015 11:52 AM

One screw is inside the door. The other is outside behind the weatherstripping. The window needs to be up. They are phillips head screws as Dakota Boy said. It helps if you have a long screw driver and you tape the inside screw to the tip to get it started. While you have the door panel off lube the linkage and lock mechanism. I assume you have new gaskets as well.

John

simplyconnected 01-27-2015 12:09 PM

Yeah, it's pretty straight forward, John. When the window is up it is also out of the way. I don't know if Dennis-carpenter.com is actually making the handles. My repops came from Taiwan and it seems every vendor is selling the same stuff. So, you might as well get the cheapest price going.

Squarebird handles are super easy to remove. The button does not have a key lock but it does have an adjustment 'jack screw' (for how far the button depresses before the door unlatches).
Most handles have two plastic (body) pads. The handle casting tightens with two screws that enter from the inside.

Most SB handles are sold with the button included. Make sure you order new pads if yours are chipped or worn.

As said, simply remove your inside handles and pull the inner door panel off per your shop manual. <--This is the hardest part of the whole job.

840 840 840 01-27-2015 12:10 PM

I would also shoot the screw with a product like WD-40 for a day or two before trying to remove them. Bi-Metals like to stick together and it's easier to wait a day or two then remove striped Phillips head screws.
Charley:p

JohnG 01-27-2015 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the great information, guys!

I bought the handles a couple years ago so I will check and make sure I have new gaskets.

So you think I have a decent chance of getting the screws out, with penetrating oil? They have been in there for 57 years, so I am not taking anything for granted. If I have to drill the heads off, it won't be the end of the world.

But in general, you have given me lots of optimism that this is a reasonable job. Lubing all the mechanisms in the meantime is a bonus.

Since we are in the process of getting 18" of snow, it doesn't look like I will be driving the ol' girl anytime soon, so I can patiently get into this.

John

jopizz 01-27-2015 12:40 PM

I've done dozens of them and I've never had an issue getting the screws out. Usually to get the inside one out I use a screw tip on a ratchet with a long extension so I can get leverage on it. There's less chance of rounding off the screw head this way.

John

JohnG 01-27-2015 12:52 PM

Usually to get the inside one out I use a screw tip on a ratchet with a long extension so I can get leverage on it. There's less chance of rounding off the screw head this way.

Agreed. Are they #2 ?

Anders 01-27-2015 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You need to pull out this little piece first to be able to remove the key hole.

partsetal 01-27-2015 02:20 PM

Before installing the new handles, you must transfer the button plate from the old handles. This is a metal plate that screws to the backside of the handle and guides the button and holds the spring. The spring, button guide and the screws for this are included with the new handles.
Carl