Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1961 To 1963 Bulletbirds, Rocketbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Vacuum for transmission (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18129)

Morten_C 12-22-2014 10:02 AM

Vacuum for transmission

Hi All

Just bought my first V8 after 25 years with aircooled VW.
My car is a 1961 Thunderbird bought with a defective transmission.
When PO bought the car it couldn`t go in reverse, he opened it and replaced clutch plates and brake bands, but didn`t replace o-rings. He then put it togehter and the reverse was ok, but it can only shift from 2 to 3 when it`s very cold.
When I start in D1 it has a very bad noise, so I have bought another transmission.
Today I started the replacement of transmision and I then discovered that the transmission vacuum ain`t connected at the carburator, and I can`t figure out where to mount it.
As you can see in the picture the tube ends with a screw.
Has the carburator been replaced so I don`t have this vacuum output?

jopizz 12-22-2014 10:19 AM

The vacuum line to the transmission should be connected to the brake booster check valve. However you can connect it to any source of engine vacuum. The intake manifold is fine. The factory carburetors did not have any vacuum ports except for the vacuum advance to the distributor.

John

Morten_C 12-22-2014 11:46 AM

Sorry, but don`t understand were to mount this tube.

jopizz 12-22-2014 12:20 PM

That tube is just somebody's poor attempt at blocking off the vacuum. That has nothing to do with the transmission line. You should have a rubber/metal/rubber line coming off the transmission modulator and going to the power brake check valve.

John

GeoffInCarlsbad 01-17-2016 10:41 PM

Brake Booster Check Valve

Following up on an existing thread, I had removed the Brake Booster Check Valve and assembly (rubber/check valve/rubber/connector) and simply plugged the vacuum port while I cleaned up the parts.

However, I am not seeing where this vacuum line is supposed to plug in to. From this thread, it looks as if it goes to the transmission, but the lines are not that long. Can someone post a pic or drawing of where that is supposed to go? I cannot see anything in the '61 Shop Manual or Steve Christ's book, or anywhere else.

It looks like this line is actually short, as it reaches no lower than the right/passenger side exhaust manifold.

At the lower left of the second picture, there is a fixture there to plug into something, but where? :eek:

simplyconnected 01-18-2016 03:57 AM

When I route my vacuum line I start at the intake manifold, right where your picture shows the brass 'block' with the plugged hose. That block has a regular pipe thread.

I come out of the manifold with a 90 and continue a short distance to the back of the engine. Then I tee off. One side goes to the transmission and the other goes to the power brake booster. Just that simple. Your booster should have a check valve so the 'can' holds a vacuum after the engine stops. - Dave

GeoffInCarlsbad 01-18-2016 10:55 AM

Where to plug the end?

Hi Dave:

Thanks for the reply. So my quandary is this. I have a line that runs from the vacuum port (block) back to the brake booster. That's the line at the top of the diagram. The on the other side (toward front of the engine) of the same block, I have a hose where the check valve is attached, and at the end of that line, is a brass fixture that plugs in somewhere, and I assume that's the end that goes to the tranny. I think I am pointing to it in the second pic wondering "Where does this go?" Is that the end that goes into the Transmission? When I received the car, this line was just hanging off that block, but I assume it must of gone somewhere.

Right now, I simply removed that line and plugged that "front" side of the block. However, I am concerned that without that check valve in there, I may lack boost when the car is not running, as confirmed by your comment. So I assume it's important for me to fix.

If I cannot figure out where to plug in to the transmission, even it I re-route per your configuration, I don't know where to put in the transmission end. That's the female port I am looking for.

Thanks,

~g

jopizz 01-18-2016 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Does your car have air conditioning. If so there should be a vacuum canister on the passenger side.

Here's the diagram for the transmission line. It's on the driver side not the passenger side.

John

GeoffInCarlsbad 01-18-2016 11:32 AM

No A/C

Hi John:

Thanks for the quick reply. I do not have A/C. So if you look at the figure I pulled from the '61 Shop Manual, I draw 3 arrows to the line in question. It seems to disappear on the passenger's side and leads down somewhere. That's that I am looking for. Where is that mystery port?

However your diagram gives me an idea. I will check the transmission section of the manual and the assembly diagram guide, and see if I can find it there. But if you know, inquiring minds want do know!

jopizz 01-18-2016 12:23 PM

Do you have vacuum or electric wipers. Some '61's had vacuum wipers.

John