Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Golde Top (Sunroof) Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Power Sunroof? (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16878)

jopizz 04-22-2014 08:07 PM

Power Sunroof?

5 Attachment(s)
While checking out the local Craigslist ads I happened across an interesting find. A 1960 Thunderbird Sunroof. Although the fact that it was a sunroof was interesting enough the ad also said that it was a three speed manual car. That certainly got my interest. Since it was only about 10 minutes away I had to see it first hand. Seeing the car in person was even more puzzling. The sunroof was electric. Normally I would pass it off as just a modified hardtop but the fact that the roof opening was cut identical to a factory sunroof and the slider brackets were obviously Golde manufacture made it even more curious. The motor and switch location looks very similar to a 67-73 Thunderbird sunroof. The dome light also looks like a '72 Ford dome light. Since there was no signs of a windbar and the dome light is incorrect and in the wrong location I can only assume that it was not a factory sunroof but maybe dealer installed. Unfortunately someone changed the column shift to a floor shift. Here are some pictures.

John

YellowRose 04-22-2014 08:39 PM

Power Sunroof?

Hi John, I hope you don't mind, but I registered that Tbird with John Rotella's Tbird Registry, using some of your comments and the pictures you provided. That VIN # did not show up as being in the registry. To my knowledge, there is no known 1960 powered sun roof that was ever produced on the production line. Although there is that story of one being found in New England some years ago with a powered sun roof on it. To my knowledge, it must have been an aftermarket addition. As I said, there is no official record of any 1960 powered sun roof ever coming off the production line, unless I am incorrect. If I am, Alan or Fuz can correct me.

jopizz 04-22-2014 08:48 PM

Ray,

Thanks for registering it. I had planned to do so after maybe getting some feedback on exactly what others thought it was. I'm convinced that it's a late 60's-early 70's Thunderbird sunroof. I was just struck by how well the opening was cut. It certainly looked factory rather than something that was added later. I've seen enough of them to know the difference.

John

YellowRose 04-22-2014 08:54 PM

Power Sunroof?

Hi John, if anyone can add any additional information regarding this car, we can pass it on to John to add to the Registry regarding it. I am glad to see it is still alive and has not been crushed. Someone certainly did a good job of installing that roof from the looks of it.

If you want to learn more about powered Golde Top roofs, check out this posting by Rockin Kev some years ago. It details how he found his powered Golde Top on a '60 Sun Roof in a scrap yard in New England, and how he got it to England. It has been a long time since I have last heard from Kev. The last I heard, his wife was still recovering from her illness. Here is the link.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...?t=1891&page=3

jopizz 04-22-2014 09:11 PM

The car needs a lot of work. The floors and radiator support are shot and it's got quite a bit of Bondo in the rockers and quarters. It's missing both the front and rear seats. I made a low offer on it just for curiosity sake. We'll see if it gets sold.

John

tbird430 04-25-2014 05:43 PM

Maybe it was a factory manual slide sunroof car & someone in the 1970's converted it over to a power sliding roof??

It is plausible. :cool:

jopizz 04-25-2014 07:37 PM

There's was no windbar or any holes in the trim indicating that it ever had one so I'm thinking the sunroof was added later. Also the dome light was the wrong one and in the wrong position. Since the seats are long gone there's no chance of finding a ROT sheet either.

John

1960demorti 05-19-2014 09:47 PM

I bought this car

I found this site today and was kind of shocked to see pictures of the car I just bought on it.

pretty funny

:)

jopizz 05-19-2014 09:58 PM

You certainly have a lot of work to do on it. I'm pretty sure that the sunroof was added later. How do you like that diamond plate someone put on to replace the floor boards on the driver side. I thought that was an interesting touch.

John

1960demorti 05-19-2014 11:16 PM

yea im not sure what they were thinking. whomever "butchered " the car had interesting taste.
it had a tach installed. a big amp in the trunk .
tons of speaker wires everywhere. We are going to basically gut the car.

My father restored a 60 tbird when I was a kid. He was diagnosed with cancer in august and I got the car to work on with him as a father son project. Its going to be white like his was. We are both machinist by trade and also have a fair about of sheet metal fabrication experience.

Victor the guy who owned the car really hit it off with my dad and gave us a real fair price on it. I don't think he did any of the modifications to it.

Your pretty local and kind of know by seeing the car what i'm going to need if you get a line on any of the parts shoot me a message.