Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1955 To 1957 Little Birds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   elijahbird7's Tbirds! (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16215)

YellowRose 12-01-2013 11:00 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

6 Attachment(s)
Jim gets his gorgeous '59 Baltic Blue Convertible tomorrow! Wait til you see this beauty! Click on the picture of it and you will find 50 pix to look at and enjoy. This is really a great looking Squarebird!

http://www.thelastdetail.com/1959-fo...ird--c-677.htm

Jim now has his '59 Tbird home and here are some more pix of it! Here is one with the top going up... or down?...

V-John 12-01-2013 11:38 PM

All I can say is WOW!

YellowRose 12-03-2013 10:43 AM

elijahbird7's '66 Tahoe Turquoise Flairbird!

9 Attachment(s)
Jim sent me a pic of his gorgeous '66 Flairbird that he just sold after having it for 19 years! I asked him to tell the new owner about Squarebirds.org in hopes he will join. What a beautiful Flairbird this is! Jim says that is a Tahoe Turquoise paint job on her.

YellowRose 12-03-2013 07:29 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

9 Attachment(s)
Then there is his Peacock Blue '56 Babybird! The next to last pic is the only time it failed on him. Here is what he said. "The first time I ever had to bring a car home on a flatbed. The generator pulley broke in half..no water pump or generator working. Not a roadside fix for sure." Me, I dig the tow truck driver! :eek: For some reason, the tow truck drivers I have met around here, certainly do not look like her!

The last picture might be familiar to ya'll because it has been in Hemmings and also in the VTCI Scoop magazine!

After that Hemmings/Scoop shot, you will find some more pix that Jim just sent me of his '56! The last pic of the two Babybirds, is of Jim's '56 and his buddy Andy's '57.

YellowRose 12-03-2013 07:33 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

4 Attachment(s)
Then there is his rare Merlot '04 Retrobird with the matching top! And finally, his '79 Mark V! I hope you have enjoyed the pix and have not slobbered all over your monitor and keyboard!

elijahbird7 12-03-2013 09:58 PM

Tow Truck Driver

Julie is totally cool. She owns the tow truck company and has for over 20 years.
She is also a car lover. She has a beautiful 70's era black Camaro with T-Tops

YellowRose 04-09-2014 08:12 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

2 Attachment(s)
Jim just sent me another pic of two of his Birds. Here is what he had to say in his "Almost Spring" email.

"Ray, We are finally getting a few days where I can get the cars out. So far, the following projects have been completed on the '59: intake manifold gaskets replaced, fuel pump replaced, major tune up-plugs, points, cap, rotor and plug wires and carb cleaned and adjusted, new exhaust system and new radial tires. Tomorrow it goes in for replacement of the front and rear springs. The fronts had spacers in them and it sits low in the rear. .got those from McVeigh. I had my body shop guy look at a couple of places and will take it in on May 6th to work on those areas. Then the only thing left will be to replace the driver's seat cover as it has a couple of splits in it. Then done??? I imagine she will decide she needs attention somewhere along the path..

Happy motoring
Jim Elijah"

After I posted this, Jim sent me this additional information.

"One thing that was interesting..after timing was set and all tune up parts in place, it was hesitating on acceleration. Don decided to pull the top of the carb off and removed the primary venturi. He cleaned it and got quite a bit of crap to fall out. He told the other mechanic to pull the secondary venturi to clean as well. As he was pulling it up, it just broke. The metal was cracked and looked like it was self destructing. Don went upstairs to see if he had any old Ford carbs around, which he didn't. It was lunch time so he said to go have lunch and he would try to epoxy it back together so I could drive it home and we could order some parts. As I left, my mind said to go home and look to see if I still had a left over carb from the '66 in my basement...and I did have one as well as one from my '56. I took both carbs back in, and the venturies in the '66 were in perfect shape and were a direct fit...even the gasket at the top was like brand new and could be swapped over as well....made his day! Was the metal venturi suffering from ethanol??? Maybe. It's hard to see the actual crazing in the metal, but you can see where it was broken."

In checking out the carb that was used on the 1966 Flairbirds, according to Automotive Mile Posts, the 1966 used the Ford 9510 4-bbl carb on all three engines in use back then, the 390, the 390 export, and the 428. So, if that is correct, and I gather it is, the venturies from the Ford 9510 should fit perfectly on your '59 Ford 4100 carb, if that is what it is...

Here is a pic of his '59 & '56 "shy" Birds peeking their beaks out to see if it is safe to come out from Winter...

YellowRose 04-19-2014 05:59 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

4 Attachment(s)
Jim just sent me some more pix of his gorgeous '59 Squarebird Convertible. He had his first "top down weather" and his first "top down drive" of the season! I love the Unity dual spotlights/side view mirrors on both fenders! You do not see them like that to often because Unity Co. did not make a right hand mount for the Squarebird. You have to find one from a Mercury of that year, as I recall and make that work. Enjoy the pix!

tbird430 04-22-2014 04:03 PM

I"m still jealous Jim!! :D

Great looking Squarebird!!

-Jon in TX.

Dan Leavens 04-24-2014 12:18 PM

Jim thanks for the pixs as she is a very striking and the colour/ combo is classic for this year. The wide whites and the wire rims completely POP:eek:the rest of the chrome on your beauty. Enjoy the cruisin:D

FINSRIN 04-29-2014 04:07 PM

Is obvious why we were cautioned about drooling on keyboard and screen. All so nice, impossible to pick a favorite.

YellowRose 06-10-2014 04:42 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what Jim sent me and had to say about his Tbirds and other cars....

"Ray, Went to a local car show on Saturday. Two guys were rolling this half-cow around the show and asked if they could photograph her looking at my car. Turns out the local public library came up with this idea to promote local events. They take the cow to everything, take her photo and post it online..sort of like what did the cow do today.??..weird.

I just checked with the body shop guy today, and they are on track to have the 59 finished on Friday..almost 5 weeks in the body shop.... then it will probably take me another week to clean up all the body shop dust.

We have a Thunderbird club event on Saturday that I plan to attend, but it's almost an hour and a half each way..hopefully I can make it with no issues, as I haven't driven it that far yet. The body shop guy is replacing my power steering hoses and trans cooler lines today, which looked a little old..

Also waiting for a 2014 Lincoln MKX to arrive that I ordered on May 7th. It was built on May 28th, so it should get here any day..Ruby Red metallic, stone leather with the 22" polished aluminum wheels."

Here are a couple of pix..

tbird430 06-10-2014 04:56 PM

Love those 2 blue birds!! Love them!! :cool:

-Jon in TX.

Joe Johnston 06-10-2014 05:27 PM

Always liked Little Birds, but that cow is kinda cute too! :eek:

FINSRIN 06-11-2014 04:11 AM

Nice - If you can't figure how two tones of blue paint should be applied to a baby bird. Get two and paint one each blue tone !
They carry the colors well :)

MKX will definitely be comfy for trips. Great colors !

Dan Leavens 06-11-2014 10:24 AM

Okay here is my question with the pictures Ray posted. Where does the cow get stored for travel:confused: I know it doesn't fit in the trunk:eek:

elijahbird7 06-18-2014 04:38 PM

I think the library has a van they use for her travels.

robertlane 06-22-2014 12:24 PM

Thanks to Jim (elijahbird7) for sending me over here. Thunderbirds certainly do have something magical about them - their shapes and colors are just so iconic.

YellowRose 08-31-2014 11:13 PM

Jim's '59 Takes 1st Place & Best Of Show!

2 Attachment(s)
Jim said...."Don't know if you have heard of the Volo Auto Museum in Volo, Illinois. They had a large show today. Around 250 cars attended. It's a Ford-Mercury, Mustang, Cobra and Thunderbird show that they have every year. I took the 59 today and it took 1st place in Class, Thunderbirds 58-63. I wasn't paying attention at the end when they announced the Best of Show award. A friend had to poke me and announce that my 59 had won that trophy as well!!! Here are a couple of pix!

FINSRIN 09-01-2014 12:18 AM

Using spray cleaner and rags to remove drool from keyboard & screen.

bird 60 09-01-2014 04:54 AM

Congratulations Jim, She looks really nice.

Chris.....From OZ.

YellowRose 09-09-2014 08:17 PM

Best Of Show

2 Attachment(s)
Jim sent me another pic. His gorgeous '59 Convertible was awarded another Best Of Show trophy he says! Here is the pic. And here is Jim and the trophy!

YellowRose 09-14-2014 09:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Jim took his gorgeous '59 Convertible to another S&S and walked away with another trophy! I am not surprised!

"Took the 59 to the same show Saturday where I took my 56 Tbird last year and it won a 4 ft trophy for Best Ford. The 59 took home that same Best Ford 4 ft trophy this year..and yes I did put a cloth under the Troohy before placing it on the trunk. This show requires all convertibles be shown top up.

Then today I took the 59 to a show at Illinois Beach State Park Resort, in Zion, Illinois, which is right on the shore of Lake Michigan. About 125 cars total. Each car owner could vote for their 10 favorite cars. The top 20 then are awarded trophies. Then there were 4 "Special Recognition" trophies. (Biggest ones). You couldn't win in both areas. I watched as some of my friends with very nice cars were awarded in the top 20, but not mine..then, they did the "Special" trophies and the Illinois Beach Resort as host chose my 59 as their choice for the Best car!"

Here are the pix!

bird 60 09-15-2014 04:53 AM

Congratulations Jim. I wish I was there to see your Bird in person.

Chris.....From OZ.

YellowRose 09-16-2014 08:01 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

2 Attachment(s)
Jim sent me a picture of his friend's '59 Convertible that he recently sold. It is a nice looking convertible, it didn't have air, but did have the 430. He has a 63 Red M roadster also. What really got my attention was the Squarebird behind it with the Opera window in the C Column! You don't see many like this and I have only seen just a very few that have had that modification made to them, and that includes Marco's '58 Squarebird in The Netherlands! Here is a pic of what Jim sent me, and one of Marco's '58.

tbird430 09-16-2014 10:33 PM

Like like someone found an original FoMoCo porthole window kit from 1957 & installed it to a Squarebird...

Seems pretty straightforward....

Dan Leavens 09-19-2014 09:43 AM

I still have to look twice at that, as I like the C Column flush with no alteration especially not a port hole:eek:

YellowRose 10-07-2014 10:41 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

2 Attachment(s)
Jim just got his rear bumper back from the chromer today. It was done by D&R Chrome in Huntington Park CA. Here is what it looked like when it was delivered and over an hour later after he got it all unwrapped! Here is what he said!

"This is how it showed up today. Packaging was very impressive. This thing had so many layers of corrugated cardboard, shipping tape, wood to keep it from twisting, and brown paper covering the clear plastic covering..it took me an hour and 15 minutes to get all of those layers stripped..I think more layers than King Tut!"

Here are a couple of pix.

elijahbird7 10-07-2014 11:14 PM

It was not actually my bumper in the package. I got this from eBay, since I will be removing my continental kit over the winter and didn't want to just put bumper bolts in my current bumper that has holes from the continental kit. This was just an outright purchase.

YellowRose 10-12-2014 05:18 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

3 Attachment(s)
Jim has been working on swapping out his bumpers. Here is what he had to say when taking off the Continental kit on his gorgeous '59 Squarebird, and some pix.

"Started by getting the "horse shoe" bumper extension off. 6 bolts and of course the last one didn't want to come out because the nut was spinning way back up there. Finally got a socket up there and off she came. Here is the tire carrier part and the gas tank neck rubber extension. Just wired the license plate at the top for now, since I mounted the plate holder to the new bumper. I definitely prefer seeing the whole rear end! Will take my time taking the bumper off to swap for the new one.."

Here are the pix he sent.

DKheld 10-12-2014 08:20 PM

Looking good Jim!

Although I know it's a personal preference - to me - with the Conti-kit - the cars always looked tail heavy and like they had something tacked on there that shouldn't be.....:rolleyes:

( but I do wish I had a convertible ! )
Eric

elijahbird7 10-13-2014 03:10 PM

I had been debating taking off the continental kit ever since I bought the car last November. I was almost to the point of leaving it on until I saw a complete show chrome bumper on eBay for a fair price. That became my incentive to remove the kit for good. Maybe someone will want it...

tbird430 10-13-2014 04:53 PM

I agree, she looks so much better w/o the conti kit in my honest opinion- And probably drives alot better now too??

Looks like you still need to install those 2 top, center bumper "spears". It looks like you still have the "cut-off" bumperettes installed (from the conti kit). :cool:

-Jon R.

elijahbird7 10-14-2014 01:11 PM

Yes, the show chrome bumper I got from eBay is a complete 5 piece bumper with the pointed bullets as it should be. You can see the damage to the bumper currently on the car where the bumper extension was installed, as well as the holes that were drilled into the upper left and upper right bumper parts. I just put all the cars away for the winter, so will likely get to having the new bumper put on in the spring.

YellowRose 10-24-2014 09:07 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture for ya'll to drool over.... Jim just sent me this pic of his gorgeous '56 Little Bird on the July 2007 cover of Hemmings Magazine.... It is pretty cool when your Tbird is picked for that cover...
Here is an additional picture. Click on the link to see the second picture.

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/JamesElijah'56TbirdHemmingsJuly2007.pdf

YellowRose 06-15-2015 07:55 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

1 Attachment(s)
Jim Elijah ~ elijahbird7' beautiful blue '59 Squarebird graces the cover of the VTCI July/August Scoop! His gorgeous '56 Babybird graces our Squarebirds 2015 Calendar for the month of August! So, that makes two Squarebirds Forum members who have had their cars featured in the 2015 Scoop, that I know of, so far. Mine and Jim's! Congratulations, Jim! I don't know if you received your Scoop yet, but I just got mine earlier this afternoon! Here is what she looks like!

YellowRose 06-15-2015 09:51 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what Jim had to say in regards to the post about his '59 Squarebird being picked for the July/Aug VTCI Scoop cove! Posted with his permission.

"Yes, it arrived on Wednesday of last week. Very nice to see that Terri put it on so quickly. Two exciting events that day. Just about every car show so far this season has been rained out. That afternoon, a friend with a 67 GTO messaged me to join him at a huge cruise night that happens once per month not far away. I hadn't gone to that one in about 5 years. There are usually 300-500 cars attending. I didn't know they now give one Best of Show award per event, picked by a set of judges. I was blown away, when my 59 got selected for the award that night! Made for quite a day.

The award is called the "Big Wheel".
It's made from billet aluminum in the shape of a steering wheel."

Here are a couple of pix you will enjoy seeing! It is always nice to see what our fellow Tbird lovers look like!

YellowRose 06-22-2015 02:11 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Jim took his gorgeous '59 Squarebird to the Kenosha Show this weekend. She was awarded the Best In Class Award! Here is what he had to say followed by some pix of her and some other Tbirds that were there.

"Out of over 125 cars, they picked the top 6 cars for trophies. This is the trophy presentation, where all 6 cars had to move up to the tent to receive the awards.

Interesting thing was, there were no classes. You paid $5 on the way in, no registration, no windshield card with a number or your name. The Club that ran the show just had 6 members each pick a car to win, they then just wrote down your name, the car, and asked you to drive up to the tent...I guess it worked!

There was this red '62 "roadster?" as well and also a red Hardtop."

Dan Leavens 06-23-2015 10:14 AM

Jim congrats on the Best in Class award in Kenosha:D

YellowRose 07-02-2015 11:14 PM

elijahbird7's Tbirds!

1 Attachment(s)
Jim took his Squarebird out again and here is what he had to say!

"This one was a total suprise. Went to a show at a dealership of about 250 cars. Each car owner got a ballot to vote for 5 cars, plus Best Engine and Best Paint. The dealership employees also got ballots as well as spectators. Top 30 got trophies. They finished with the top 30, and nothing. Went to the final two larger trophies, and it took Best Paint. I usually associate that class with hot rods and ghost flames or a special paint job like yours! Unfortunately, it rained almost the whole way home.."

Here is the pic he sent me.