Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1961 To 1963 Bulletbirds, Rocketbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   rear main seal engine (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15538)

Larry Jones 08-01-2013 07:59 AM

rear main seal engine

I thing I have some spotting where the engine connects to the transmission. What is exactly involved in changing the seal. Plus whats the best additive to add to the engine oil to stop it. Plus with the addictive could it mess up any good seals. Plus how does this stuff work. Larry

jopizz 08-01-2013 10:40 AM

Larry,

I've never had any additives stop a rear main seal leak. If you want to know what's involved in changing it look in the Technical Resource Library. There's instructions on how to replace it. If it's only a couple of drops I wouldn't worry about it.

John

Joe Johnston 08-01-2013 11:39 AM

Is this the same engine you had replaced a year or two ago? It shouldn't be leaking already unless you have driven it 10's of thousands of miles. Perhaps it was defective or installed incorrectly? Did you engine rebuilder give any warranty?

Larry Jones 08-01-2013 12:04 PM

rear seal

Well Joe the guy didn't do a good job on the intake gasket by not applying any RTV to the corners. So he didn't do a good job with the seal either. Larry

Larry Jones 08-01-2013 12:08 PM

Rear seal leaks a few drops.

Thanks for replying to me. If I do try for the some stop leak is that going to mess up the good gaskets elsewhere John.

simplyconnected 08-01-2013 02:19 PM

Ok so, after driving around on this engine for years, you develop a trans leak, then you blame the engine rebuilder?

Hmmmm... how does that work, I mean, Ford only offered a 12 month warranty on the car when it was factory fresh!

Maybe you broke something on the transmission and now it's leaking, I don't know...

I suggest you bring it to a good mechanic to have the trans thoroughly inspected and repaired. Joe is right, good mechanics usually offer a warranty on their work. In any event, the car should not leak. - Dave

jopizz 08-01-2013 02:23 PM

I think he's referring to the rear main seal in the motor not the trans. At least I hope so.

John

Larry Jones 08-01-2013 05:50 PM

rear main seal

You are correct John. The engine wasn't the problem I purchased that from John Draxler. Short block. The big problem was from my wife relative who assembled the intake to the engine didn't use any RTV at all. This is what the Ford mechanic said to me. Larry

jopizz 08-01-2013 06:19 PM

Larry,

You have me confused. Is leaking from underneath the car or the back of the intake manifold at the top. If it's the intake manifold it's a fairly big job just because of how heavy it is. I've done lots of them and you either need two people to lift it off or risk a hernia doing it yourself. An engine hoist certainly helps.

John

Joe Johnston 08-01-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

If I do try for the some stop leak is that going to mess up the good gaskets elsewhere John.
I never thought any of the "mechanic in a can" products were worth the money or a substitute for quality parts and first class workmanship. Yes I do use a couple of products, Stabul, and Marvel Mystery Oil, ZDDP, and that is about it. Products that would swell the rope type of oil seals MAY work, I don't know, but I really doubt anything would affect the materials used now. If a product softens or swells a rubber type of seal it can't do other parts (in my opinion - which may be wrong) like valve seals any good .

Larry - when the engine was rebuilt, what type of main seals were used?