Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1961 To 1963 Bulletbirds, Rocketbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   '62 Convertible Top Problems (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13714)

YellowRose 09-01-2012 01:07 PM

'62 Convertible Top Problems

Larry Jones sent me an email requesting help with his '62 Convertible top. I hope someone can help him. Here is what he had to say.

"In need of some electrical advice badly. I am at my wits in. I own a 62 convertible. In the last two weeks I was able to raise my lid with no problem but was hestiate to bring up the top. Took it to a electrical shop and they had to apply power to the up and down switch to raise the top. They indicate there was no power to the switch whatsoever. Now I removed the plug myself and the plug has power with the Acc on. I tested the plug which I disconnected from the Top control safety relay just the plug and have power to the plug. Now as far as the relay with the 3 prongs itself putting a ground lead attached to a screw and touching the positive led with a static check it shows infinite. Shouldnt it register 000 ohms meaning on the terminal for a good static check at that relay. Thank you frustrated Larry."

jopizz 09-01-2012 05:50 PM

Maybe I'm reading the post wrong but if you can raise the trunk lid then the top switch and relay are ok. If the top won't go up then you probably have a problem with the top erect relay or one of the limit switches.

John

Larry Jones 09-01-2012 09:01 PM

up and down switch

Thank you for addressing the issue John. The electician indicated there was no power at the switch so he had to apply power there. When I got it home Dead at the switch nothing. I removed the switch and there was over 12 volts coming from the plug which gets connected to the switch. I did a ohms check on the up and down switch and it read infinite on the meter.did a ohms check on the top control safety relay and got infinite reading across with the plug off. The three prong plug was putting out over 12 volts itself. Am I reading and doing the tests right. Thank you John

Larry Jones 09-01-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Jones (Post 68669)
Thank you for addressing the issue John. The electician indicated there was no power at the switch so he had to apply power there. When I got it home Dead at the switch nothing. I removed the switch and there was over 12 volts coming from the plug which gets connected to the switch. I did a ohms check on the up and down switch and it read infinite on the meter.did a ohms check on the top control safety relay and got infinite reading across with the plug off. The three prong plug was putting out over 12 volts itself. Am I reading and doing the tests right. Thank you John

The electrician brought the top up. By applying power at the switch if I had a bad limit switch or relay How would he have accomplished that feat.

jopizz 09-01-2012 09:55 PM

I agree that if the electrician got the top to work by putting power to the top switch then everything past that is ok. If you have power on the black wire at the top switch then that seems to indicate a bad switch. Power comes from the top control neutral switch and goes to the black wire on the top switch. If you put a jumper wire from the black to red or black to yellow wire on the plug the top should operate. Did the electrician have the car in park or neutral when they were testing for power. Sometimes you have to play with the gear shift to get it in the right spot. There's also a 50 amp slo-blo circuit breaker on the starter solenoid that can trip and cause the top not to work.

John

Larry Jones 09-01-2012 10:19 PM

top switch

Iam a little burned out and at my wits end Tonight John. I have power to the plug over 12 volts our you saying that the switch is bad after the olms test I performed on the switch itseld and read infinite ohms like it should. Thank you Larry. PLease stay with me John this is all new to me.

jopizz 09-01-2012 10:31 PM

Larry,

Does your ohmmeter have an audible signal. To me that's more foolproof than using the scale. If it beeps when you have the probes from the center post to either end post and the button is pushed in that direction then it's good. If no beep then it's bad. If you put a jumper wire on the plug as I said and the top works then you know the switch is bad. Most of the time it just needs to be taken apart and the contacts cleaned.

John

Larry Jones 09-01-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Jones (Post 68673)
Iam a little burned out and at my wits end Tonight John. I have power to the plug over 12 volts our you saying that the switch is bad after the olms test I performed on the switch itseld and read infinite ohms like it should. Thank you Larry. PLease stay with me John this is all new to me.

I own a dvm. The funny thing about all of this is before the electrician I was cycling the trung lid up and down. I was hestitate about trying to bring the top up because it been 2 years and didnt want to chance the top. Iam going to sign off right now . Ill be back in touch with you Sunday. Thanks Larry

Larry Jones 09-02-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Jones (Post 68676)
I own a dvm. The funny thing about all of this is before the electrician I was cycling the trung lid up and down. I was hestitate about trying to bring the top up because it been 2 years and didnt want to chance the top. Iam going to sign off right now . Ill be back in touch with you Sunday. Thanks Larry

Ok its Sunday now. Went out the wires from the plug our red green and yellow Inserting my dvm one os to ground inserted the red probe into the plug unattached from the switch and now no power in any of the slots. What does that tell you about the plug and thats with the car being started. Lets go from there now if we could I no I indicated before that I had power at the plug must of tested wrong that time. Larry

jopizz 09-02-2012 01:38 PM

Larry,

Try moving the shift lever a little. Just about every car I've had I had to move the shifter to get the top to work. Even with the car running the neutral switch may not be in the right place.

John