Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   NYsquarebird58's Brake System Overhaul and Disc Brake Conversion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12914)

SBHollingsworth 04-30-2012 11:28 PM

Great pictures. I just bought a 60 and i am hoping to do a coonversion very soon. Did you buy a kit and if so who's kit?

Keep the pictures and updates coming. good luck

NYsquarebird58 04-30-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBHollingsworth (Post 64975)
Great pictures. I just bought a 60 and i am hoping to do a coonversion very soon. Did you buy a kit and if so who's kit?

Keep the pictures and updates coming. good luck

My setup is not a kit; it uses standard parts you can get at any auto parts store and the best part is that you still retain your original spindles and bearings. Many kits use proprietary rotors and calipers, so if you need replacement parts you must go to the manufacturer. This setup also allows you to use 14 wheels found on many Ford disc brake cars. All the aftermarket kits I am aware of require you to use 15 wheels.

lawyercalif 05-01-2012 12:33 AM

Have you figured out how to mount the booster. What bracket are you using? It looks like I am going to have to modify mine some more to clear my tall custom valve covers or I might have to go back to stock valve covers.

NYsquarebird58 05-02-2012 01:13 AM

Adapter to connect to link pin

lawyercalif 05-02-2012 01:54 AM

What adapter are you using? Did your car have manual brakes before or did it have the Bendix Booster, or the Kelsey Hayes under the dash booster?
Does your car have A/C? All of these take different brackets to mount the new booster. I was just interested in which type you are using. Ray used a custom made bracket on Yellow Bird. I am making one using the Bendix booster bracket and a jeep bracket to clear the A/C plenum.

NYsquarebird58 05-02-2012 07:48 AM

I have a non-AC car with firewall mounted booster. I'm using the bracket from my old booster to mount the new one. I ordered the jeep bracket, but it is on back order until late may, so I'll have to cut down the threaded rod coming out of the back of my booster a bit.

lawyercalif 05-02-2012 09:54 AM

Marcello,

I have an extra Jeep bracket. If you want it send me a private message with your full name and address md I will send it to you.

NYsquarebird58 05-02-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawyercalif (Post 65007)
Marcello,

I have an extra Jeep bracket. If you want it send me a private message with your full name and address md I will send it to you.

PM'd Thanks!

NYsquarebird58 05-02-2012 06:25 PM

Here's the master cylinder all painted up.

Jimz Bird 05-03-2012 12:54 AM

Is this the Master Cylinder from off of the Scarebird list of parts?