Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   NYsquarebird58's Brake System Overhaul and Disc Brake Conversion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12914)

tbirds8 09-23-2012 11:45 AM

I usually sqweez those spring closed a little up top

tbird430 09-25-2012 11:18 AM

That looks great in back!! :cool:

A difference you will surely tell & feel (plus those front disc added).

-Jon in TX.

Anders 09-25-2012 01:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I donīt know if any of these helps, but I thru them in anyway. Canīt hurt as I see it.... ;)

RustyNCa 09-25-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 (Post 69209)
Will any vacuum reservoir tank do? I found this one on summit racing. Perhaps I can bypass the one that's hidden behind the fender and mount a smaller one under the hood, like the ones that hotrodders use when they're running big cams and power brakes.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-3701/

Yeah, does the same thing as the one in the fender. I am running that exact tank on our Oldsmobile, for the exact reason you mentioned. It only pulls 7 or 8 pounds of vacuum at idle, not enough to keep the power brakes fed for more than one pedal pump. So far it has solved the problem with the olds brakes.

You know our 65 tbirds have two vacuum res cans under the hood, which makes sense. It has vacuum door locks, release for the parking brake, lock for the slide away steering wheel, I assume mode doors on the heater, in addition the brakes. I haven't traced it out, but I think Ford separated the systems, hence the two cans.

KULTULZ 09-25-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 69450)

I donīt know if any of these helps, but I thru them in anyway. Canīt hurt as I see it.... ;)

That BIRD is lucky to have you. Nice detail work... :)

NYsquarebird58 09-30-2012 09:34 PM

Looks like Iím about 98% done with my brake system overhaul and disc brake conversion!

Last weekend I finished plumbing all the hard and soft lines. This weekend I bench bled and installed the master cylinder and filled and bled the system.

I still need to extend the wiring to reach the brake switch and replace the vacuum line that runs to the booster from the intake manifold.

I took the bird for a very short test ride around the neighborhood. She stops, but not with the force that I anticipated. I have a firm peddle and good peddle height; it just feels like I have to push down hard to get her stop promptly. Dave and I think itís probably the old rubber vacuum line with the check valve that Iím temporarily using. The new booster already has a check valve; the vacuum line going to the booster also has a check valve. Itís possible that having the two check valves in line is robbing some vacuum assist.

Iíll pick up a new piece of vacuum hose tomorrow and eliminate that second check valve. Hopefully thatís the culprit.

Hereís the bird in her parking spot (facing the other way now :) )

KULTULZ 10-01-2012 01:50 AM

Are you sure the rear brakes have been adjusted properly? Remember, they will not make full drum contact until the arc of the shoe lining is the same as the brake drum (wear-in).

Also- http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issu...ontentid=40440

NYsquarebird58 10-01-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 69604)
Are you sure the rear brakes have been adjusted properly? Remember, they will not make full drum contact until the arc of the shoe lining is the same as the brake drum (wear-in).

Also- http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issu...ontentid=40440

The rear drums seem to be adjusted properly. I can hear and feel the resistance of the shoes contacting the drums when I spin the wheels by hand. I also have a high pedal. I figured that if my drums were out of adjustment that, my peddle would seem low once I apply the brakes.

KULTULZ 10-01-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 (Post 69607)

The rear drums seem to be adjusted properly. I can hear and feel the resistance of the shoes contacting the drums when I spin the wheels by hand. I also have a high pedal. I figured that if my drums were out of adjustment that, my peddle would seem low once I apply the brakes.

Good point.

On the initial adjustment, did you run the shoes completely against the drums and then back them off until you could rotate (spin) the wheel by hand one half turn?

You will also have to seat the linings once you have your assist problem fixed.

NYsquarebird58 10-01-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 69608)
Good point.

On the initial adjustment, did you run the shoes completely against the drums and then back them off until you could rotate (spin) the wheel by hand one half turn?

You will also have to seat the linings once you have your assist problem fixed.

I did several things. First I pulled up hard on the parking brake to try and seat the drums. Then I kept on adjusting the shoes just until I got to the point where I could not spin the drums. At that point I backed it off a bit until I could spin the drums with some resistance.

When I finished bleeding the brakes, I gave the pedal a few good pumps to try and seat the drums again and then I readjusted the drums a bit more until I felt some drag while spinning the wheel by hand.

I’m not sure if that’s proper procedure but it made sense to me at the time.

I’m getting ready to leave the house now to pick up a new piece of vacuum hose. Hopefully that does the trick. I took the old hose and check valve off and sucked on the end. I did feel some resistance, but I’m not sure if it’s enough to starve the booster of the vacuum needed for full assist.