Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is this a 390 Truck Engine? (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12742)

NewBird13 03-26-2012 06:39 PM

Is this a 390 Truck Engine?

Hey all
I recently bought a rebuilt 390. When going over it I realized the casting number on the block says D3TE. I know the D3 is 1973 but I am unsure on the TE? I keep finding contradicting information on what is what.
If it is in fact a truck engine what changes will need to be made to compensate?
Thanks

NewBird13 03-26-2012 07:08 PM

It also has a mirror image 105 and an x on the block if this helps

gaffney1951 03-26-2012 07:09 PM

It is ...

from a pickup truck. No changes required. Your thinking of the FT series engines (332,361,391) from the bigger trucks. Mike

gaffney1951 03-26-2012 07:12 PM

Mirror 105 blocks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewBird13 (Post 63801)
It also has a mirror image 105 and an x on the block if this helps

have the advantage of having the additional main webbing like the CJ blocks. Better than your average bear Boo Boo.:) Mike

NewBird13 03-26-2012 07:14 PM

Thats good to know Mike. Thanks a lot.

juantejeda 03-29-2012 11:23 AM

Truck engine

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewBird13 (Post 63800)
Hey all
I recently bought a rebuilt 390. When going over it I realized the casting number on the block says D3TE. I know the D3 is 1973 but I am unsure on the TE? I keep finding contradicting information on what is what.
If it is in fact a truck engine what changes will need to be made to compensate?
Thanks

Pretty sure that this is the block I have in my Squarebird. I was told that it was a truck engine when they restored the car. The original 351 couldn't be saved and they found a good truck block. I have never checked the Casting numbers, but I could.

Astrowing 03-29-2012 05:12 PM

It probably has a two barrel intake manifold and a truck cam though, does it not?

simplyconnected 03-29-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewBird13 (Post 63800)
...If it is in fact a truck engine what changes will need to be made to compensate?
Thanks

I recently got the same block. Like Jim described...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Astrowing (Post 63877)
It probably has a two barrel intake manifold and a truck cam though, does it not?

It also had something I never heard of, lower compression pistons.

To directly answer your question, what are you trying to compensate for? Original Squarebirds used premium gas and higher compression ratios. Today, lower compression and regular gas sounds even better unless you're trying to race to the cruise. The block itself is beefier than a car block but the dimensions and crank are the same.

I am building this truck block for Penelope in Australia. He has desert conditions so I'm keeping as much aluminum as possible, 9.2:1 compression ratio, and roller cam for today's oil.

EDIT: In my estimation, the 1973 block is much better because of parts availability. But a word of caution... Mine came with a nylon timing set, and half the teeth were missing on the cam sprocket. True Roller timing sets are available everywhere for your '73 engine. I suggest you change yours ASAP. - Dave

NewBird13 03-29-2012 06:47 PM

thanks for all the information guys.
Dave, I will be using this vehicle as a summer cruiser, no track or anything. I guess I wasnt trying to compensate for anything with the new engine, just replacing a blown one.

Jim, to answer your question it has a 4 barrel intake and i havent gotten around to looking at the cam yet. What should I look for to identify it as a truck cam or not?

Astrowing 03-30-2012 10:23 AM

A truck or RV cam is designed for better torque at lower RPMs and typically would have more lift and shorter duration. There would be a part number on it that you could use to figure out what type of cam it is. Also, if you think it is and original from a '73 truck there will probably be specs on it in the '73 truck manual that you could compare to Squarebirds specs. Short of that, you could degree the engine using a degree wheel and dial indicator and that will tell you what the lift is, lobe separation and where it is installed. It is highly recommended that you do this when replacing your timing chain whether you leave the cam as is or change it in any case. Be aware that pre-'63 cams and timing chains are different and not interchangeable with the later FE ones. From your planned usage, I think you would be happy with a truck/RV cam in any case.