Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   schraeder valve from transmission? (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12735)

philbird60 03-26-2012 01:05 AM

schraeder valve from transmission?

On a 1960 T-bird with cruise-o-matic,
what is the steel tube that comes up from the transmission, and bolts to the back of the exhaust manifold, terminating with a schraeder valve ?
It definitely looks original, but there is no mention in the shop manual of it, and that crazy long-winded manual mentions freakin' EVERYTHING!

YellowRose 03-26-2012 01:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Phil, from your description that sounds like the tranny test tube they used to test the tranny before it left the factory. They just left them in place. Here is a picture of one left in place.

philbird60 03-26-2012 07:12 PM

that's the one! weird. So it does nothing after it leaves the factory?

Richard D. Hord 03-26-2012 07:15 PM

Hey Phil,
It was discussed before to remove it and cap off the hole in the tranny! If you don't like it:eek:
Richard D. Hord

YellowRose 03-26-2012 07:31 PM

Nope, it was just used at the factory to test the tranny and I guess they figured it was to much of a hassle to remove it from every car they made, so they just left it in place.

Alan H. Tast, AIA 03-26-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philbird60 (Post 63780)
On a 1960 T-bird with cruise-o-matic,
what is the steel tube that comes up from the transmission, and bolts to the back of the exhaust manifold, terminating with a schraeder valve ?
It definitely looks original, but there is no mention in the shop manual of it, and that crazy long-winded manual mentions freakin' EVERYTHING!

Take another look in the '60 shop manual in the transmission section - it should have a photo showing a hand-held gauge hooked up to the Schrader valve. Ford had a pressure gauge kit for dealers to check the transmission, but I don't remember if it was for fluid pressure or vacuum draw, and I'm too lazy right now to dig out the manual to see what it says.

philbird60 03-26-2012 11:06 PM

Oh, it's not a question of liking it or not.. just wanted to make sure there wasn't some maintenance procedure I was overlooking.

simplyconnected 03-27-2012 04:37 AM

I'm with Richard Hord... You can leave it or take it off, your choice. You aren't missing any maintenance procedures. It seems that the dealership mechanics just left it there after they were done verifying their pressure checks. I'm sure most were removed and discarded. - Dave

partsetal 03-27-2012 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is most likely the tester that was used for the test.
Carl

philbird60 03-27-2012 04:10 PM

Wow, neat!