Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   58 Rear suspension "issues" (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10678)

Anders 03-03-2011 04:59 PM

58 Rear suspension "issues"

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know, or maybe have the heart to check on your own 58, the length of the spacer ( metal tube ) that sits inside the two isolators on the rear axle. After m u c h work on all possibilities I have located the problem with my stiff rear end and limited suspension travel to this area. My isolators are the original rubber, meaning they are very hard after +50 years, but I know that my spacers are not original, so I need to find out the original length if I ever is to have the rear suspension working properly. I need to find some real soft isolators also, in order to get this work as it should. :o
On a bonus note, it would be interesting to know if you have the treads even to the nut or how far ( or how many treads ) you might have through the nut.
Thanks in advance,
Anders

Astrowing 03-03-2011 10:40 PM

I'll measure and take pictures of my '58 but won't get to it until weekend after this one coming up. I'm not quite ready to disassemble everything. What do you need to do to offload this isolator to remove it?

Anders 03-04-2011 01:32 AM

Yes. It is quite simple and fast. But I recommend that you put notes on on the distance of the tread, so you can adjust it.
Its pretty simple. But you need to lift the car so you squeeze yourself in there :)

Thank you VERY much!!!

/Anders

tbird430 03-04-2011 12:20 PM

Are we talking tread of the tire or do you mean thread on the bolt??

:confused:

Anders 03-04-2011 03:54 PM

Bolt :) Just to give an estimation about how hard or loose they are adjusted.

frank58 03-04-2011 08:02 PM

This one?

Astrowing 03-04-2011 11:48 PM

Looks like the sleeve is 2.5 inches or 6.35 cm from the picture. Do you have a measurement for the bolt?

Do you also have measurements or pictures for the track arm bushings and the control arm? This is good stuff! Thanks.

Anders 03-05-2011 03:21 AM

My sleeve is 70 mm...:o
Mine are aftermarket, but what I realy like to know is how long is the original. Need to dig in and learn this as the whole travel set-up is done by this bolt. If I tighteen them as much as I can ( limiting the movement ), I have a travel of the rear axle of approx. 2":eek:. If I loosen everything and take out the rubber isolators, My rear axle can move 2 feet up and down, so to find the right length and then hunt after some realy soft rubber to make new isolators from.
When I bought my car, somebody hade put on super hard isolators. Like a hockey puck. No flex what so ever, meaning the stress transportated ( as the car tryed to move up and down while driving ) itself through the upper control arm, and created breaks in the framepart where the upper control arm sits.
Unfortunally there is no words in the shop manual about how to adjust or where the "factory setting" is, or what shore the rubber shall have.

Astrowing 03-05-2011 10:07 AM

Is the bolt you have a picture of an original? How long is the bolt and how far back is it threaded?

Anders 03-05-2011 01:06 PM

Yes, the bolt and locknut is Original.
The length, excl. the head is 113 mm. The threads are 41 mm of these. Dont know inch.....:o