X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Carter 2992s Carb

Anyone know the CFM of the Carter 2992s carb for the 1960 430 ci engine?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Carter 2992s Carb CFM

I have spent considerable time researching this subject regarding Carter carb CFM ratings. Apparently, back then, Carter and the other carb companies did not publish CFM ratings as such. What I have been able to determine so far is, that the Carter AFB series back then were rated at 500-650CFM, with the 2992s probably at the 650CFM rating because it was being used on the 430MEL engine. But that is not definate because I have yet to find the actual rating for the 2992s. Here is a website that, if you know the Primary and Secondary Venturi and Bore diameters, you can determine the CMF. Maybe this will help. In the meantime, I continue to search.

Discover everything Buick has to offer including a full lineup of SUVs, advanced in-vehicle technology, current deals and offers, a new EV future, and more.

I have run across this website that allows you to calculate CFM. Here is the link.

Trying to find the right size carburetor for your engine. This tool will help calculate the size carb you need in CFM for stock or racing engines. Includes a rich graphical interface to visulize the output.

If you run the calculations as I did, 430CI engine 4400 RPMs which was the rating for the 1960 430MEL at that time (down from 4600 the year before), a VE setting of 0.85 and the carb being STOCK, the calculations shows a CFM rating on that carb of 465... Much less than I expected and it might not be accurate. But that is what you get when you run those figures.
    Last edited by YellowRose; October 29, 2010, 08:29 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• GTE427
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 9 2007

Venturi size:

Primary 1-3/16
      Secondary 1-9/16
      Ken
      1959 J Convertible
      1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Carter 2992s Carb

Based on the figures that Ken supplied that puts the CFM at 625 using the figures from the Buick Performance website for Carter carbs. That is more in line with what Carl ~ partsetal thought when I talked with him this morning about this. Thanks for the figures Ken!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
          Experienced
          • Jun 2 2010

Thanx forthe help.
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎