No announcement yet.

Removing Engine - 61 model

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Engine - 61 model

What is the best way to hook onto the engine when lifting it out of the car? I do not see any tabs connected to the motor to hook on to.

Thanks!
  • Petrolhead
    Experienced
    • Jul 2 2007

I suggest the best way is to use a plate that bolts on to your intake where the carb would normally go. The attached pic is a friend's 351 that let go big time, you can see a commercially available version on the top of the engine. I made mine with flat plate, welded and drilled to suit. The three holes allow you to vary the angle that the engine/trans comes out at. Use it in conjunction with an engine hoist that has an adjustable tilting boom attachment thingy (can't think of the right word) and you'll be sweet.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for that Petrolhead. I was thinking about using the intake, but wasn't sure if it would handle the weight of the engine until I get it onto the stand. I will give this a try.

Please give that 351 a proper burial...looks like a horrible dis-memberment.

Comment

• Penelope
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 4 2008

Whoa, that's ugly! At least the engine was lighter when they lifted it!
        sigpicBill
        Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• Petrolhead
          Experienced
          • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by Chris
          thinking about using the intake, but wasn't sure if it would handle the weight of the engine until I get it onto the stand.
          I used my one to lift a complete 302 Windsor and a T5 five-speed out as one unit, admittedly lighter but no probs.

Penelope, the 351 is out of a XB Falcon that races in the muscle car class, let go at full noise down Pukekohe Park Raceway's back straight. They didn't need tools to get the broken bits out, just reached inside the ventilated block/sump and grabbed them...

Reminds me of a line I read somewhere about wiring: "be sure to connect correctly otherwise you'll let the smoke out, and once trhe smoke is out it's very hard to get it back in".

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎